All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: My Russian Love affair
Post Number:#91  PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 22:05 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Holidaying in the Greek island of Kos
6 October to 13 October 2010

Having spent most of our summer in the UK visiting various places, sometime in August we decided to visit again the small but very nice and beautiful Greek island of Kos. This was the second time for my wife but I have been visiting the island every year, since the first time I went there in 1994.

Kos is probably the most beautiful of all the Dodecanese islands, steeped in fascinating history from the times of Ancient Greece to the twentieth century when much of its architecture has been influenced by the Italians.

Kos has never failed to charm her visitors. Great beaches,exciting nightlife, friendly and natural beauty are all attractions of this lovely little island.

To most people, however, Kos is just a relaxing, stunning place to laze on a sandy beach during the day and at night to enjoy a candlelit supper or dance till the early hours of the morning.

For me especially Kos has a huge attraction because of its Spa hot waters, which have helped me over the years with my back pains, so every year during October I have visited this little nice island, where I have made a lot of friends.

The Town of Kos is built in the North Eastern end of the island and lies flat, flooded with greenery. Ancient and modern buildings coexist and history seems to overshadow the present. The streets are wide, lined with trees and they are suitable for both cycling and walking.

Along the central coastal road lies the little harbour of the town, where excursion boats embark their passengers for daily excursions to nearby islands and Turkey. On the Eastern side of the port the Castle of the Knights of St. John stands magnificent. Along the narrow lanes of the Old Town, a lot of tourists shops sell lovely souvenirs or works of local craftsmen.

Kefalos resort, in the south of the island, is a picturesque half-moon shaped bay, lush with greenery and olive groves. In the middle of the bay, dividing the broad sweep of coarse sand and shingle beach, lies the tiny Kastri island with its little blue and white church.

There is a small harbour offering sailings to Nyssiros island and a long promenade lined with tavernas, cafeterias and a few bars, stretching the whole length of the village. The old village positioned at the top of a hill, enjoys panoramic views over the coast and is a typically Greek village.

Kefalos is for people who wish to enjoy a really relaxing holiday by the sea. There I have some friends with some very nice studios few yards from the beach and we spent most of our day time there.

Time to let the photos make the talking:

Post Number:#92  PostPosted: 15 Oct 2010 22:18 
Admin

More photos from Kos:

Post Number:#93  PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 16:50 
Admin

November - December 2010

After our Holiday in kos in October, for the next couple of months we had no plan for travelling anywhere and was time to prepare for the Christmas Holidays. It is not an easy task to organise presents for the Christmas when you family members living far apart, like USA, Greece and Russia.

Meanwhile we had some very [good_news.gif] .... a new arrival joined our family.

My Grand daughter Isabella was born in London on the 27 November and her parents, my younger son Alexis and his partner Alexandra gave us the Best Christmas present.

Isabella [glad.gif]

Father Alexis and grandfather wiz looking Happy

Hanna and Isabella

That is all for November, no more important news to report.

[glad.gif]

Post Number:#94  PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 20:47 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Great stuff Wizz! I have been to most of the Greek Islands and Kos is one of my favourites. [thumbs.gif]

I see that Bodrum got a mention .. what a sh1thole that place is. [sad.gif]

Post Number:#95  PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 20:55 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
If Vinny says Bodrum is a shiphole then I'm not ever going to go there. Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars Vinnster!

Great pics Wiz, but is there no smashing of plates? [sarcastic.gif]

Post Number:#96  PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 21:14 
Veteran Member

Donhollio wrote:
If Vinny says Bodrum is a shiphole then I'm not ever going to go there. Thanks for saving me thousands of dollars Vinnster!

Did I say shiphole? I meant expensive shiphole. Much better is Kos, Kefalonia and Crete. Give Corfu a miss though as its now full of British yobs, though when I went there in the early '70's is was largely underdeveloped.

Wizz: [offtopic.jpg] As you're now retired wtf you still doing on our cold, windy and wet island?

Edit: Much better than Turkey is Eqypt. Still a shiphole, but a cheap shiphole. [hi.gif]

Edit2: Why has the off topic man got an angry face? I wasn't angry when I went off topic but it makes me look as though I was. So, could we have a smiling off topic man too please? [veryhappy.gif]

Edit3: There is no edit 3. Thank you. [lol.gif]

Edit4: You have a nice house Wizz. I didn't realise you were posh. [embarrased.gif]

Edit5: FIVE GOLD RINGS ..... Ooops, wrong forum. [underchair.gif]

Post Number:#97  PostPosted: 09 Jan 2011 23:51 
Admin

Boys, may I ask you politely to avoid derailing my personal thread with your comments!
There is no need for deliberately using rude words on the board. Thank you.

Don the custom of breaking plates in the clubs, has died many years ago.... we now throw carnations!

Vinny:

1. I agree with your comments about Corfu, as I used to live there in the 60-70's before coming to UK. Now the island is overdeveloped by the tourist industry but still attractive if you visit the right, off high season, time.

2. Most of my family is here and I have some property but not in an island. On the other hand..... life during the winter in a Greek island is not very interesting and after living here for so many years I am used to the wet weather. Living between Heathrow and Gatwick I get plenty of opportunities to visit many different places in Europe cheaply!
  3. I see if I can find a replacement the [off_topic.gif] later.

4. Can't afford a posh house Vinny but my son, a City kid, can.....one day I may win the Lotto [wink.gif]

5. I will slap your hand next time ...... be a good boy please! [bat.gif]

Post Number:#98  PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011 08:27 
Admin

Vinny

[offtopic.jpg] Hope you like this Off Topic..

[biggrin.gif]

Post Number:#99  PostPosted: 10 Jan 2011 10:32 
Veteran Member

[clap.gif]

Post Number:#100  PostPosted: 14 Mar 2011 12:20 
Admin

Holiday in Algarve - 2 March 2011

It has been sometime since our last holiday in Kos - Greece, last October 2010 and we both were getting a bit restless during the winter, so at the end of February we decided to go somewhere for a week and change the daily routine, and especially for Hanna to have a rest. Looked around and found some cheap flights to Faro in Portugal, a place that I haven't been there myself before and also booked an apartment in a nice looking establishment in Albufeira. To help you following my post, I am posting a small map from Algarve.

Early morning flight from Gatwick, spot of bother with an airline employee who had not a clue about the EU Directive and Resident Card, could not even find the Resident Card vignette on Hanna's Passport and would not accept my help! [angry.gif]

Behaved very rudely towards me, when I offered a copy of the Directive .... contacted the supervisor who was also unaware of the Law concerning Resident Cards and had to contact the head office.... to finally let us board the aircraft!

I must make time to write a very nice letter to the airline's customer relations department and congratulate them for the impecable service and manners of this person . [bad.gif] [angry.gif]

Arriving at Faro Airport at 10 AM went through immigration in seconds as the officer was very well informed..... and out to meet our transport to our accommodation. Very nice and efficient service and cheaper (less 1/2 price) from using a Taxi. I know that Donhollio doesn't like minibuses but these are very comfortable ones and take up to 8 people and deliver/collect you to the door of your accommodation. I will highly recommend this service.

So as we arrived so early in Albufeira .... we had to wait for the room to be ready, dropped our luggage and went out looking around the place and also to find a nice cafe bar, which we did find very quickly and was run by an Irish lady. Temperature was around 12 C but we had lovely sunshine and was getting hotter.

Image....Image
Just arrived and having a drink!

Right next to the cafe bar was a car hire office.... so after my coffee went there and got a very nice deal, £76 all inclusive for the whole week. [surprised.gif] [veryhappy.gif]

Around midday was time to go and see our room. I was very surprised to see the apartment, which was on the second floor, had two excellent balconies, one facing the swimming pool but was too cold to swim and only we could sunbathe there, like other people already were doing! Our apartment had a nice bedroom and a large bathroom with shower and more importantly a huge open space living room with a kitchenette on the side. TV receiving most of the English channels and plenty of other amenities, including wiFi internet connection but I had left my lap top at home! [sad.gif]

Ouratlantico Apartments in Albuferira

After settling-in, was time to go out to see the old town.... and have a look around Albufeira and later in the evening went out to a restaurant for dinner.... and the owner happened to be a Greek! [surprised.gif]

To be contninued....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next