Russian World Forums

Travel question by a UK citizen
Page 1 of 1

Author:  Mysh [ 20 Feb 2011 16:55 ]
Post subject:  Travel question by a UK citizen

Hello Everyone,

I am new here, first post, so please feel free to correct where I have posted it as required.

I am posting here since the title caught my eye.

I am a British citizen and my wife (since 2007) is a Russian citizen. We both live in Germany and have done since we met.

Ironically, we actually got married in the UK before the introduction of the draconian visa requirements in 2007 (involving fingerprinting and filling-in pointless 40-page online forms).

My wife has visited the UK exactly once since then.

I am posting to this thread to ask two questions:

- Has anyone actually attempted to cross the UK border with nothing more than proof of marriage certificate, passport, residency card (of the EU country), etc.? I imagine by air is a no-no since the carrier will simply refuse boarding permission, but I was thinking of a situation where one travels e.g. to Ireland (who do not require fingerprinting and so forth yet) and then simply attempting to take a ferry over to Wales.

- Second, the Coalition is gearing up to present a Tourism Strategy – primarily fuelled by speculation about 75% of the world staying away from the Olympics in 2012 because of visa difficulties. I note that one website (the Telegraph) quotes the following point from the Strategy: "Making it easier to obtain a tourist visa for visiting Britain, currently subject to range of restrictions." ( ... hours.html). This would be a great opportunity for a petition I think, since the Strategy has yet to be fully worked-out.

Would be interested in anyone's ideas about the above, and hello from me as a newbie to everyone on the forum!


Author:  Sparky114 [ 20 Feb 2011 17:13 ]
Post subject:  Re: Bringing your FSU Lady to the UK under the EU Law is Fre

Welcome Mysh take a trip over to the introductions and post an intro there as well [biggrin.gif]

As for your question, i am sure one of the guys will be along soon [hi.gif]

Author:  wiz [ 20 Feb 2011 18:25 ]
Post subject:  Re: Travel question by a UK citizen

Can you please give us some more information regarding your wife's status please.

I understand that you got married in the UK but both live there since you met.

Did you have to bring your wife under a fiance visa to the UK to get married.

The more information you give us the better we can answer your questions.


Author:  Rasboinik [ 20 Feb 2011 18:35 ]
Post subject:  Re: Travel question by a UK citizen

Hello Mysh.

In reply to your questions.
First of all if your wife has a residency card under EU Directive 2004/38/EU then as I understand the issue your wife can enter the UK by showing her residency card.
There are a few mwmbers on the forum that do not seem to have a problem with their wives entering the UK with a EU Directive 2004/38/EU residency card.

As wiz said the more information that you provide the more accurate are the answers that can be given

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC
Powered by phpBB