All times are UTC

Post subject: UK Car insurance for Foreign Licence holder
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010 09:01 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 10+
I am about to renew my car insurance and wish to add my wife, my dilema is that she is a Russian citizen visiting here on a private invitation visa (not settlement).

I know in the future if we have settlement visa then she can take provisional licence etc and there will be no issues, but now she is only visiting UK occasionally and can legally drive here on her Russian licence, but does anyone know of an insurance company who can cover such a situation.

My broker hasn't helped me but we are up north in the sticks, but there must be thousands of foreigners in London who have insurance and not a UK licence.

Thanks in advance

Julian

Post subject: Re: UK Car insurance for Foreign Licence holder
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010 20:12 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Julian

Have you asked your broker or searched through the Internet because I think if you take a cover....... FOR ANY DRIVER for your car, you probably find that she is covered.

No chance tonight to ask my broker but you can check it on line.

wiz

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 01 Feb 2010 22:30 

My broker is no help whatsoever, i have looked at a few policies and in general a person is only insured to drive your car if they are a UK citizen, have perminant or main place of residency here and have a UK driving licence , you can only get a provisional licence if you have settlement visa or residents card , so that rules me out for the moment !!!

Insurance company's must have cover because how else would they insure every hire car in an airport, i know thats big business but it shows they have knowledge and experience to insure people on UK roads with a foreign licence.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 02:12 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Julian,
I wish that I could help, but I am in Russia at the moment and therefore without full access to resources such as contacting people directly.

I think though that adding your wife to your car insurance policy (A Russian, non resident with no UK driving experience) is going to cost you an absolute fortune (that is if it is at all possible).
You may though stumbled upon a "work around", the hire car idea, you will probably find it cheaper to hire a car for the period that your wife is visiting than to pay the extra premium.

I do though have a question, does your wife want to drive in the UK?

The reason that I ask.
I have asked Alla if she wants to drive in the UK and the look on her face was "Have you taken leave of your senses?", the verbal answer was a very, very firm "NO! Are you crazy?" (Neeeeeeyt! Ti s uma setche?) 'Нет! Ты с ума сшдший?", therefore confirming the facial expression.

"But darling if you drive you can go to the shops on your own".
[bat.gif] [bekloppt.gif]
"Why would I want to do that when I have a taxi driver who will pay for my shopping, carry my bags and buy me a coffee."
And before I give the wrong impression Alla's response was tongue in cheek.

Back to the real world, Alla has said that she would find driving in the UK very difficult.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 07:36 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Rasboinik wrote:

"But darling if you drive you can go to the shops on your own". [bat.gif] [bekloppt.gif]

"Why would I want to do that when I have a taxi driver who will pay for my shopping, carry my bags and buy me a coffee."

And before I give the wrong impression Alla's response was tongue in cheek.

Back to the real world, Alla has said that she would find driving in the UK very difficult.

Alla is absolutely right......

..... my wife doesn't drive, she wants me to teach her how to drive :(
(which of course is a NO NO NO don't need a divorce, somebody else will have to do it )

and I keep telling her ........why want to drive when you have a free taxi service at your dispossal! [accept.gif]

Do you think she is listening? [crying.gif]

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 08:09 

RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Well I have always added my Wife to my Insurance since the first time she came to visit me here in the UK. :D

At the time a couple of years ago it would cost me £ 50 but then i moved to Axa and it did not cost me anything the next time :lol:

Now Elena has been here since May last year and is on my insurance a a foreign license holder (you can do this for one year but it is a grey area that you can stretch to 2 years) but up until recently had no intention of driving in this country, but now realises that she needs this to open lots more doors for her.

And now I have brought her a VW Golf just before Christmas to really learn in and use after all she will have to take the UK test so i am teaching her at the moment :shock: No divorce yet but sometimes the air goes a bit blue [biggrin.gif]

So i needed to get some insurance on the new car (New = 8 years old low mileage 50k) and went to many companies that refused us because she has a Russian license until i came up upon Admiral and they were very helpful, and got a year for both of us to drive for £360 so was pleased about that.

Hope the above helps you

Mark

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 08:18 

My wife is determined to drive in the UK and something she wants to do, she would like her independence and feels like a prisoner in my home (nothing to do with me putting the handcuff's on each night :lol: ), taxi's cost a fortune and i don't live in a town center but in the countryside, so being able to drive would make her feel more comfortable here.

In reality it is very rarely that she would drive and she has allot of learning to do before i could think about letting her loose alone, but by her having the option and ability it would make her feel allot better and less trapped, i know how i feel in Russia, i hate the fact that i need to rely on friends and taxi's.

I have a car and a van + some motorcycles and if i don't give my wife the chance to use a vehicle then she will be asking some serious questions. Although to make things more comfortable and easy for her we are planning to move into town at some stage.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 08:25 

RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Julian wrote:
My wife is determined to drive in the UK and something she wants to do, she would like her independence and feels like a prisoner in my home (nothing to do with me putting the handcuff's on each night :lol: ), taxi's cost a fortune and i don't live in a town center but in the countryside, so being able to drive would make her feel more comfortable here.

In reality it is very rarely that she would drive and she has allot of learning to do before i could think about letting her loose alone, but by her having the option and ability it would make her feel allot better and less trapped, i know how i feel in Russia, i hate the fact that i need to rely on friends and taxi's.

I have a car and a van + some motorcycles and if i don't give my wife the chance to use a vehicle then she will be asking some serious questions. Although to make things more comfortable and easy for her we are planning to move into town at some stage.

Sounds like you have got it sorted :)

I know that feeling when we are in Russia we do not have a car :( but for 99% of the time it is ok as we live in the centre of the town and use Trams / minibus or Taxi so there is no real need, just would be nice to go and get out of town now and then :)

Yes with that amount of Vehicles you would be in trouble if your lady is not allowed to use one.

Mark

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 02 Feb 2010 23:47 

wiz wrote:
Rasboinik wrote:

Do you think she is listening? [crying.gif]

Yannis,
Knowing Hanna, I would say that she is not listening [rolf.gif]

Hanna,
Knowing Yannis, you are right not to listen [rolf.gif]

Before I get into real trouble.

Joke SHUTKA Шутка

[clown.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 03 Feb 2010 00:01 

Rasboinik wrote:
I think though that adding your wife to your car insurance policy (A Russian, non resident with no UK driving experience) is going to cost you an absolute fortune (that is if it is at all possible).

Sparky114 wrote:
Admiral and they were very helpful, and got a year for both of us to drive for £360 so was pleased about that.

And on the menu today (in the Rasboinik house) lots and lots of humble pie. [sad2.gif]

Julian, I am very very [glad.gif] that cleverer people than me have managed to find a proper solution.

Mark [bravo.gif]