All times are UTC

Post subject: Greece to bear gifts for Russian tourists
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010 17:57 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Greece to bear gifts for Russian tourists

The Greek Culture and Tourism Minister Pavlos Geroulanos said today that Greece plans to simplify visa regulations and procedures for Russian tourists in efforts to stabilize its tourism industry and boost its failing economy.

Tourism is a key sector in Greece, accounting for around 18 % of GDP.

"The number of tourists from Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, but particularly from Russia, is rapidly rising," Geroulanos said. "We believe that they [Russian tourists] will help to stabilize the situation."

Geroulanos said that recent protests in Athens had lead to substantial financial losses in the southern European country. Many tourists cancelled their trips amid fears of violence and unrest.

"It is still too early to draw definitive conclusions on how tourism will develop," he said. "The inflow of tourists from Russia has returned to its previous level and we hope it will increase."

He also said Greece intends to simplify visa regulations for Russian tourists.

"We cannot surpass EU restrictions," he said. "But we can create an environment in which people know that they can get a short-term Greek visa without much difficulty and without having to go to an embassy".

Athens 22 June 2010 Ria Novosti

This morning I was talking to a friend of mine on the island of Kos, SE of Greece and he told me that the island is full of Russian tourists.

He told me that 4 of the biggest 5 * hotels in the island are mostly occupied by Russian tourists. He also added that he is doing very good business with his car hire company. [happy.gif]

I have been visiting the island of Kos for over 20 years and I know a lot of people there, going there again, second time, with my wife later this summer. I know and have met many Russian ladies married to Greeks and according to my friend most of them now work as bilingual representatives with the Russian tour operators and local agencies.

So who said that Russian people don't have money to go on holidays and just manage to survive with their very poor salaries? [biggrin.gif]

Post subject: Re: Greece to bear gifts for Russian tourists
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 07 Jul 2010 20:13 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I am happy to hear they are going to make it easier for Russian tourists. I wish they had done that several years ago when Iren and I were waiting for our visa. Greece is one of the countries I have never visited and would have loved to gone there with her when we were looking for interesting and romantic places to go together. Maybe one of these days we will still get there but I am sure had it been easy in 2007 we would have gone.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 06:27 

Her/His Country: Ukraine
Times_to_FSU: I live there
No word on Ukraine.

But I would not go to Greece anyway after they refused to give me a visa in 2003.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 07:32 
Admin

Turbo

I wish you had spoken to me at the time and I would have advised you what to do and maybe help you to get her a Schegen visa to visit Greece...... with my contact in Moscow!
Remember that my previous two RW came to Kos with me and one of them second time to Corfu too, but you chosen to take Iren to Egypt! [wink.gif]

I am sure now it would be much easier for Iren to get a tourist visa, as she is living in USA...... [wink.gif]

Igor

I am sorry that Greece refused you a visa in 2003, when you were very young, obviously you applied in Kiev and not at the consulate in Marioupol! [wink.gif]

Athens and also the Greek islands are full of Russian and Ukrainian women. Kos is full of Ukrainian women, some are married to Greeks, working in bars, restaurants and hotels and there are a few Ukr men around too but these men, I was told, are mostly involved in dubious business with UKr women! :(

PS: Your old English teacher Iryna married an English man, Carl and I know they are living in the UK most of the time and in the summer in Odessa. Do you know they wherabouts?

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 18:35 
Veteran Member

Thanks for the info Wiz. We never thought much about Greece and just went places where it is easy for Russians but Iren did have a Schegen visa in the past and another probably would have been easy.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 19:04 
Admin

Turbo

one day we can make an arrangement to meet somewhere in Greece and have fun...... [wink.gif]

Right now I am looking to find something for the end of September early October when the weather is nice and bearable and not many tourists, actually Russian tourists in Kos... [surprised.gif]

I don't want my wife to stop every 5 minutes and talking to them [rolf.gif]

PS: One day I would like to take my wife to California to visit my Grandchildren there..... but today I heard...... the wife of a Brit, married for 3 years here......she wanted to visit her mother in USA (she is married to an American) SHE WAS REFUSED A TOURIST VISA!

Well now you know what I have to say about your immigration ... [bad.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 08 Jul 2010 19:58 
Veteran Member

Wow, married and still denied. That is sad. I do think the guys at USCIS get a little carried away sometimes.

If we ever do decide to go to Greece I will let you know. I don't see it in the near future. Her mom is here now and we are heading to Virginia Beach next week and Niagra Falls sometime before she returns. Since I am married to a school girl we usually take our real vacatons during her winter break and just before Christmas. I believe we are set on Cancun this Decmeber. She only has a year left before she can apply for her Blue Passport so someplace like Greece will be much easier then.