All times are UTC

Post subject: Travelling to Russia during the winter time
Post Number:#  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 12:43 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Privyet all,

I'm thinking of taking a two or three week trip to St. Petersburg in January or February. Has anyone traveled to Russia during the winter? Will I end up a popsicle? Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Travelling to Russia during the winter time
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 14:06 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
BrianW wrote:
Privyet all,

I'm thinking of taking a two or three week trip to St. Petersburg in January or February. Has anyone traveled to Russia during the winter? Will I end up a popsicle? Thank you.

Dress warm, and I mean warm.

Be prepared for temperatures of -30 or -40 degrees Celsius (-50 degrees Celsius is also possible).

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 14:55 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Well it is very cold but still beautiful.

Here are some photos from my visit back in 2004:

View from my window

St Isaaks Cathedral

Stuff Quarters

Menshikov Place

Nevsky Monastery

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 20:02 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Wiz,

Would you go again in winter time? I really want to go but don't want to be miserable at the same time :)

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 20:06 

Rasboinik wrote:
Be prepared for temperatures of -30 or -40 degrees Celsius (-50 degrees Celsius is also possible).

-30 / -40 Celsius in St. Petersburg? :shock:

Doesn't sound right to me...

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 13 Aug 2010 21:03 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I went to Kiev and Moscow in January a few years ago and it was -50C. They were talking about it being a record cold so that is not typical. I have made a lot of trips to the FSU in the winter. Sometimes it is no worse than here but it can get really cold. The first time I went to St Petersburg was in April and there was still ice on the rivers.

Remember too that St. Petersburg is much further north than other destinations in the FSU. If you look at a world map with the lattitude lines St Petersburg about lines up with Anchorage and people do survive in Alaska in the winter.

Take a heavy hooded coat, good gloves and a scarf. When I was in the -50 weather in Kiev I was staying near the Globus Mall and meeting the lady I was meeting in front of TGIF which was a little over a half mile walk. I bundled up so my hood was up, I had a scarf covering everything except my eyes and I was glad she never kept me waiting too long. It was miserable. The part I liked the least was fooling with the combination numbers on the outer door to my apartment which didn't work too well in the cold and I couldn't do it with my gloves on. Other than that it was ok.

I have also been there in the winter when it was not all that much worse than our PA winters.

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 08:27 

According to the link below the average minimum temp in St. Petersburg in Jan/Feb is -13C, -12C, with the record being -33C.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/city ... t=TT004420

St. Petersburg is certainly further to the north than many other FSU destinations, but if you look at the latitude lines and compare St. Petersburg to various Norwegian cities like Oslo, Bergen, Trondheim or Helsinki in Finland you'll see that it's not that far up north. None of the mentioned cities have those kinds of temperatures. Heck, I was stationed at 70 degrees north (Porsanger), and temperatures like that were the exceptions even there.

Personally I would not travel to a destination where I would expect -30C or worse with the goal of dating or sightseeing. From the weather statistics, St. Petersburg looks like it might be ok, but if you get unlucky...

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 14 Aug 2010 08:57 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Turboguy wrote:
Take a heavy hooded coat, good gloves and a scarf.

As we don’t see too much snow here in England then one of my best investments to cope with the FSU winters is a pair of good boots like these: http://www.catfootwear.com/UK/en-GB/Vie ... alleryId=M

Obviously super for day wear when there's snow on the ground and great for getting to the disco too. Not so hot when you want to show some cool moves on the dance floor. [hi.gif]

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010 12:15 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
You boys are getting some info mixed up. The -50c can be possible but thats factoring in the windchill. You can have a -15c day and toss in a strong wind which will create -50c
( example) Never the less -50c is cold and it won't matter what he real temp is. As a young lad we often played outside with a -40c WC. Seeing the WC go into the -50's sometimes had us outside playing war games, after all we had to practice to defend Canada against those Rooskies! [drinks.gif]
Bring clothes that will sheild you from the wind, scarf will do wonders at keeping the air from travelling down your coat. A decent hat will help as well. [happy.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 23 Aug 2010 14:23 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Don, when I was in Kiev and Moscow that one nasty winter it was -50C. That was the temperature not the wind chill. It was a record low and since it was centered in Kiev and Moscow I think St. Petersburg might actually been a little warmer at that time.

Once in Fairmont MN I ran into low temperatures and a wind chill that hit -120 ( this goes way back in my memory but I am fairly certain I recall it correctly). I can recall trying to walk one block to the restaurant from my motel room and even all bundled up I remember being 150 feet from the restaurant and wondering if I was going to make it. It was far colder then it was in Moscow so we can get nasty temperatures here as well.

Usually winter temperatures in Russia are bearable. I think Brian will be fine if he goes then. I do think he should watch the weather forcast and be prepaired for really cold weather if it does happen. I have made a bunch of trips to Russia and Ukraine in the winter and although the weather is worse than here it isn't all that bad.