All times are UTC

Post subject: Russian GF already in UK
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 29 Nov 2013 03:47 

Her/His Country: Russia
Hi,

Firstly what a Great forum.

My situation is this: I hold Dutch nationality and I met a wonderful Russian girl in London where I am based. We plan to get married.

My Gf is already in UK on a tourist visa.

Do we have to be in a stable relationship for some minimum length of time before marriage and does she need to have a minimum unexpired period on her visa before marriage?

When after we get married can she apply for a resident's permit (if she needs one at all) ?

After marriage do we have to prove we are cohabiting ?

Thank you in advance for your expertise and apologies for the many questions

Post subject: Re: Russian GF already in UK
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 29 Nov 2013 08:18 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hi and welcome to the Board.

As far as I am aware your GF is here on a Tourist Visa and I don't think you can get married on a Tourist Visa. Check the UKBA site for European Nationals about it!......... (Click the image)

When she make an application for Entrance Visa under the EU Directive of ''Freedom of Movement' 2004/38/EU it is clear that you both have to prove you have a stable and long term relationship and your marriage is not a fake one.

Also you have to prove that you have the financial means to support your wife, and co-habiting is of course a must otherwise the UKBA, naturally, will think your marriage is fake. One of the rules say that she ''cannot be a burden to public funds''.

After getting married, abroad, applying for her entry visa and arrive in this country she apply straight away for her Resident card.

May I suggest, take a good read on this forum and you will find plenty of the necessary information you need to know! and we are here to help you any time.

BTW if you need more accurate information you will have to let us know more about your relationship.

Regards
Wiz

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 29 Nov 2013 13:44 

Hi Wiz,

Thanks for that. We have had a relationship for a about 1+ year and she has visited me in UK before. during this particular visit, we have decided to tie the knot.

So if I read you correctly, we cannot get married whilst she is in UK, we need to get married outside in Holland or Russia and then return to UK ? I don't doubt you are right but I can't see the logic of that.

Surely if we are genuine (and we are) and she is here legally and she did not come for the specific reason of marriage, then why must we go through all the inconvenience of leaving, getting married and returning to UK ?

Surely it is easier for the UKBA to check the legitimacy of a UK marriage certificate as opposed to one outside?

I would then have to arrange to take time off work ect, a lot of hassle.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 29 Nov 2013 13:49 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Also,

If you ever plan to return to the Netherlands, make sure you can prove you lived together legally for more than 6 months. This will make things much, much easier if you return to NL.

Mark.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 01 Dec 2013 11:34 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Mister mister

Sorry but you can not marry a Russian Citizen that is on a Visitor Visa in the UK

Wiz is right and if you read the UKBA pages you will find that you will have to comply to the letter if you want success

She will have to return home to complete any of the settlement Visa's if you want to live in the UK

Best thing

Go get Married in Russia, then bring her in on the EEA route if you want to be together fast