All times are UTC

Post subject: Google and Privacy
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 23:23 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember

Google has over one million servers processing
over one billion search requests per day!

I think it is time to debate Google and the issue of privacy after a certain exchange took place earlier between myself and another member and to explore the extend that Google has invaded our private lives.

From search to email, from mapping services to Street View, Google potentially has access to a wealth of private information. It appears that various privacy-related infringements seem to show, our privacy is not always taken seriously.

Does Google have a good record on privacy compared with other internet companies?

Take the problems with Streetview vehicles capturing WiFi data, for example. The cars were collecting WiFi network data (MAC address and SSID information) for use in improving location-based services such as Maps for Mobile - that’s something other companies have been doing for years. Unfortunately Google also collected samples of what is known as payload data, which could include emails or the URLs of sites that users were visiting at the moment their cars passed by.

Google is an enormous company running many products and platforms, each of which poses potential privacy issues. I will confine myself here to discussing Google Street View.

There are two separate issues here. The fact that Street View cars captured data from members of the public using wifi as they passed by and the implication for invasion of privacy and also whether Street View is intrusive.

On the first question, as I understand it, the code that enabled the capture of data by Street View cars was written in such a way that encrypted data was separated out and dumped, specifically sifting out and storing the vulnerable unencrypted data on Google hard drives. If that is true, then this goes well beyond ‘it was just a mistake’ explanation given by Google. Reading an article from a campaign group, "Privacy International" seems the group to be right in its accusation that Google intentionally breached the privacy of many people’s communications.

Google takes masses of pictures of us and our property without our consent and without giving us notice, and then tells us that if there are problems, it’s up to us to identify them.

So what are your concerns and views about Google invading our Privacy?

Post subject: Re: Google and Privacy
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 00:57 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
I sincerely think that we should take "Google" to copyright over court issues.

How dare they (the they is Google) allow me to see my own address as a picture?

That is court infringement.

Wait a minute.
Have I got my terms wrong.
Attachment:
Homer-Doh.gif

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 02:04 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
I think the benefit outweighs the concerns and yes, I have used Google maps to both show what my home looks like from the street as well as she what her place looks like (in that case she was an Australian lady). I'd be far more worried about that the credit card companies know about us or what we reveal on different social networking sites.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 07:35 
Admin

OK just to keep you happy I am not one who is afraid to show his face in public or post my photos........ other people are, like my friend AU [tonque.gif]

With him I understand...... he is an ugly AngloUkrainian old chap where I am a very hansom Greek god, so he is hiding like al secretive Ukrainians....... worried about competition..... [rolfsmall.gif]

Just to keep you happy here is where I live.

Google has not take a photo of the house or our street because the car could not come anywhere near ........
too small cul de suc. I will post photos of my garden later when our flowers blossom..... [lol.gif]

Personally I have no problem with the advancement of these technologies that I happen to be made aware off 10 years ago, after reading my son's citation for his phD, stil got this treasured book in my draw and from time to time, I open and read to see how accurate was at the time..... and looks he was pretty accurate. [veryhappy.gif]

My only objection is about collecting data of our emails, which I think are private. Well my son has predicted that soon everybody has to use encryption for our private messages.

Now that my name and face is everywhere.....
I don't think somebody would like to take my identity and look like me........ [sad.gif] . [rolf.gif]

Most of the British don't want to have an ID card because in their view it's invasion of their privacy..... what they forget is that our details are in too many computers....... and our previous stupid Government wanted to impose it and make us pay £70 for it. Now if they had made it FREE (always could financed by the back door.......) and made it compulsory, for sure a lot of fraud and criminality would have gone down.

I do have a Greek ID ...... and when I am in Greece...... I have to show it to certain departments to get my documents.!

Now I go looking to see where is that place Raffi is hiding [taunt2.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 09:47 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Wiz

I'm so happy to pronounce that Google Street maps haven't been down my street and my place doesn't 'exist' on the current mapping system.

I think it is wrong to post street photos - aerial ones are sufficient and as you demonstrated - by posting the WRONG place - the data you find on the internet has to be used wisely

Hopefully the EU will make Google update their data every six months and they'll find it too expensive

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2010-0 ... s-cut.html

I believe Australians don't suffer this indignity - good on 'em ..

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 11:52 

Her/His Country: Ukraine
RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 16 times in Ukraine
wiz wrote:
OK just to keep you happy I am not one who is afraid to show his face in public or post my photos........ other people are, like my friend AU [tonque.gif]

With him I understand...... he is an ugly AngloUkrainian old chap where I am a very hansom Greek god, so he is hiding like al secretive Ukrainians....... worried about competition..... [rolfsmall].

You calling me ugly is a bit pot kettle and black, still when you get to your age looks don't matter I suppose, lol. [taunt2.gif] Most countries in Europe have ID cards, in Ukraine everyone must carry an internal passport. Why are you so worried about Google streetview photographing your house, what are you hiding? Is it because you've got a big Greek flag painted on your garage door like the old man in My Big Fat Greek Wedding,lol. [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 12:27 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
AngloUkrainian wrote:
Why are you so worried about Google streetview photographing your house, what are you hiding?

You've got nothing to hide, is one of the worst examples of why it should never be allowed.

Jews in '38/39 also thought they had nothing to hide when someone forced them to wear that star visibly on the clothes. Who cares if they know I am a Jew, its not a crime, right ?

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 13:18 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
wiz wrote:
Now I go looking to see where is that place Raffi is hiding [taunt2.gif]

I have solved your problem for you.

Not Google, but one of my photos and a an aerial photo.

Now if you can find me with those photos I might offer you a beer when you arrive at the doorstep. [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 16:37 
Admin

I know I can find you easily..... al I have to do is ask the priest of the church you visit..... and he will know! [rolfsmall.gif]

Mark

Agree with you as it looks the American's can have a photo of everything and while they take photos the car obviously is recording a lot more than the houses..... like electricity lines, Post codes and too many other things.

Moby posted an article that says the EU will reduce the time Google keep the images to 6 months.... but what I wonder is, what happens to the images?

Sure they haven't spent so much money to throw a good product away. Do they?

Who can verify that they have not gave them already to the American Secret services?

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 27 Feb 2011 18:26 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
wiz wrote:
Sure they haven't spent so much money to throw a good product away. Do they?

Who can verify that they have not gave them already to the American Secret services?

Wiz,

Now the conspiracy theory thickens as your last sentence sounds like it could have come from Mr. Putin himself. [biggrin.gif]

Related to Google, we all know that the #2 man is a Russian and on a recent trip to Russia I was sitting next to the man who is responsible for the technology of Google Maps/Earth as he was an MSU grad and had a PhD in mathematics. So with all the Russian connections, maybe it's FSB that is archiving the data.