All times are UTC

Post subject: Old Baby boomers have become a generation of loners
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011 13:17 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Old Baby boomers have become a generation of loners

It was inevitable that one day we would read an article like this and the bitter truth will be discussed in the open.

It often seems that Western Societies are composed of deluded fools who spent the best years of their lives substituting the warmth of a solid marriage and family for the cold comfort of emotional narcissism and materialistic emptiness.

Now these fools come to realise that time is not on their side anymore and they must face the bitter truth that they don’t have much left to look forward to!

Thinking about themselves only, they failed the biggest test in their lives and failed miserably.

Don’t they know that the primary driver for personal happiness and health isn’t the fancy car or house and other material acquisitions, neither the title on their business card nor it’s the number of digits in their bank balance.

It is and always will be the quality of their RELATIONSHIPS. For most of human history the most important relationship is the FAMILY.

Certainly not everyone should be written off as a permanent guest in the Heartbreak Hotel.

Going it alone:

The number of Britons in their late 40s to early 60 living alone has risen by almost a third in a decade.

Baby boomers have become a generation of loners, with millions living without partners or children.

Revealed: The 2million baby boomers who are facing a lonely old age

There are some real lessons to be learned here.

Original article [click-me.gif]

Post subject: Re: Old Baby boomers have become a generation of loners
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011 16:41 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Wiz,

I don't look at it as such a negative as I often tell people that I'm much less alone now than I ever was when I was married. So you could look at it another way, instead of staying in a marriage with an complaining spouse who was a mistake to marry, we have now come to realize that it's much better to live alone.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011 18:32 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Cheesy,

I agree with you that a constantly complaining spouse is a mill stone around someone's neck and it is always better to live without a mill stone around ones neck but as I see it there is a marked tendency among the baby boomers to follow an "I'm all-right Jack" type of attitude.

Now I am not saying that I have not had failures in the past I am though saying that I am very happy that I now do not have to look forward to ending my days in abject loneliness.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011 11:16 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
wicheese wrote:
Wiz,

I don't look at it as such a negative as I often tell people that I'm much less alone now than I ever was when I was married. So you could look at it another way, instead of staying in a marriage with an complaining spouse who was a mistake to marry, we have now come to realize that it's much better to live alone.

I do not advocate to stay in a marriage, come what may, but to choose professional life and material possessions over personal happiness and then find yourself living a lonely life at the last part of your life, is not what I would have chosen, neither preferable, so after my previous long term relationship went south....... I decided to look and try to find a new partner for life and was lucky to meet my wife.

I am sure you will agree and say the same. [wink.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 11 May 2011 10:16 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: more than 10
When you take these sorts of articles seriously, and especially articles from the Daily Mail, you deserve to be lonely.

Utter bilge written by an idiot.

Who says people who live singly are lonely? Who makes the judgement that to be happy you must be in a relationship?

In previous generations, you got married and stayed married to the same person through thick and thin, regardless of whether it made you happy or not. The maxims of "putting up with it for the sake of the children" and "you made your bed, now lie on it" when a marriage failed was drummed into people, like some kind of religious ideology - which of course it was, due to the centuries of the church being able to inflict medieval superstition, dogma and guilt on the population.

Personal happiness was frowned upon if it took precedence to one doing one's duty and "sticking it out" regardless of the misery it caused.

But now we live in more enlightened times, although to read some of the risible opinion pieces that purport to be informed journalism, you'd think the human race was on the brink of some kind of self-inflicted armageddon, replete with all manner of biblical plagues inflicted by a wrathful deity.

Today we have come to realise that when a relationship fails, for whatever reason, it's far better to call it a day and move on. It's not selfish and it's not immoral.

Of course there are people living alone who would much prefer to be in a relationship, but if you go into a relationship so as not to be alone when you get old, it's probably doomed to failure anyway.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 11 May 2011 15:57 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Malcolm wrote:
When you take these sorts of articles seriously, and especially articles from the Daily Mail, you deserve to be lonely.

Daily Mail? Nuff said. [sick.gif]