All times are UTC

Post subject: EU justice chief warns Google over 'sneaking'
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 03 Mar 2012 20:18 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
EU justice chief warns Google over 'sneaking' citizens' privacy away

The European commissioner of justice, Viviane Reding, has delivered a stinging rebuke to Google over changes to its privacy policy, warning that "we aren't playing games here" and pointing out that the obligation to protect personal data forms a part of European treaties.

In an exclusive interview with the Guardian as Google's new privacy rules came into effect, Reding said: "Any company which wants to utilise the European market of 500 million citizens – which we've made borderless, a golden opportunity – then the European rules apply."

She said that if people gave up their privacy, it should be done in full knowledge, and not by "sneaking" it away.

Google faced widespread criticism as it implemented its policy at midnight on 1 March, uniting its code of practice across up to 60 services including Google Search, YouTube, Blogger, Gmail and others.

Late on Wednesday night it emerged that the French data protection authority, the CNIL, had written to the giant search engine company on 27 February and said: "Our preliminary analysis shows that Google's new policy does not meet the requirements of the [1995] European directive on data protection." The CNIL said it would lead a Europe-wide inquiry into the changes.

While they simplify the joining process for new users, the changes also mean that Google can pool data about signed-in users' web or video searches, map directions, web browsing, which ads have been clicked, and other information in order to target adverts and services at people using the web. Google has a huge share of the search market in Europe, providing about 90% of searches across the continent – far ahead of the US, where its share is below 70% – and 97% of its $10bn (£6.2bn) revenues in the last quarter of 2011 came from "serving advertising" – ie placing ads on websites.

READ MORE : .[click-me.gif].

Post subject: Re: EU justice chief warns Google over 'sneaking'
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 07:37 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Google Admits Handing over European User Data to US Intelligence Agencies

Google has admitted complying with requests from US intelligence agencies for data stored in its European data centers, most likely in violation of European Union data protection laws.

Gordon Frazer, Microsoft UK's managing director, made news headlines some weeks ago when he admitted that Microsoft can be compelled to share data with the US government regardless of where it is hosted in the world.

At the center of this problem is the USA PATRIOT ACT, which states that companies incorporated in the United States must hand over data administered by their foreign subsidiaries if requested.

Not only that, but they can be forced to keep quiet about it in order to avoid exposing active investigations and alert those targeted by the probes.

This situation poses a serious problem for companies like Microsoft,Google or Amazon, which offer cloud services around the world, because their subsidiaries must also respect local laws.

For example, European Union legislation requires companies to protect the personal information of EU citizens and this is clearly not something that Microsoft, Google, Amazon, or any of their EU customers can do.

This is not only a theoretical problem. According to German-language magazine WirtschaftsWoche [Google translate], a Google spokespersonconfirmed that the company has complied with requests from US intelligence agencies for data stored in its European data centers.
Quote:
August 16, 2011: Google has sent us a statement that reads: "As a law abiding company, we comply with valid legal process, and that - as for any US based company - means the data stored outside of the U.S. may be subject to lawful access by the U.S. government.

READ MORE: . [click-me.gif] .

It's pretty clear that the problem is not Google, Microsoft or Amazon. The problem really is the "Patriot" act which is the most intrusive piece of legislature the US has ever adopted.

That is why the US faked 9/11 to create fear in Americans and use this fear to push the Patriot Act telling Americans it was for their own protection.

Apparently you can't do business with US companies. The US don't seem to care at all about anything but their own interests. They don't seem to realise there are other sovereign countries in this world. They wish to impose their ways on the entire world.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 09:38 

RW_here_since: Dec 2009
Times_to_FSU: 5
Luckyspin wrote:
That is why the US faked 9/11 to create fear

... is not a view that I would wish to read about on here and would probably enrage most ordinary people.. and I would include myself in that description.

Request for removal please.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 12:19 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Amorus wrote:
Luckyspin wrote:

... is not a view that I would wish to read about on here and would probably enrage most ordinary people.. and I would include myself in that description.

I 100% agree with the comment made by Amorus.

You will also have to remove the posts that quote that comment (as a Moderator you have the power to do so).

Please check my avatar change !!!!!

Further please check your PM.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 13:56 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Ukraine
RW_here_since: June 2008
Times_to_FSU: Lots
I really don't see what's up with you two, the OP posted an opinion, that's all, nothing more nothing less.Who knows what the truth is, nothing is 100% certain either way.

Point - Shoot - Drawn = Instant Floor Plans

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 15:06 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
I was advised by admin regarding the two posts objecting to my previous comment.

It is my opinion, you may not share it or like it but I don't think by posting my opinion about a certain subject, I have violated any rules of the board's TOS.

It's simply an opinion and can't understand what is the fuss all about!

[rolleyes.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 15:49 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Amorus wrote:
Luckyspin wrote:

You sound like a muslim. Getting "enraged" over someone elses opinion.

I guess the first amendment means nothing to you.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Amen ... nstitution

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 04 Mar 2012 17:08 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Amorus and Rasboinik

Firstly may I ask you to cool down and please take note of my comments and those of the other members here!

While I do not subscribe to conspiracy theories, I have to say that it is Luckyspin's view and he is entitled to express his opinions, like everybody else on this board, as long as he doesn't violate the TOS of the board and in this instance he hasn't.
May I kindly ask you two, to read the TOS and point out to me of any violation?

On this board, all members know, that "freedom of speech" it's on the top of my list and while I may disagree with your opinions, I will never exercise censorship and I will defend your right to express your views freely to the end, as long as you do not violate our Rules and Terms of Service of our board.

I am sorry but I am only trying to be fair and objective without taking sides!

[drink-coffee.gif]