All times are UTC

Post subject: What is ACTA?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014 07:33 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
What is ACTA?

Just watched the video below and I don't like what I hear!

[angry2.gif]

Post subject: Re: What is ACTA?
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014 19:29 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Acta is one of the worst laws ever conceived. It started as a good idea, and was then abused and reformed by the copyright incident.

The end result is a draconian law, that makes 100% of the population a criminal.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2014 21:26 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I had not heard anything about ACTA but look at the good side. It will be great for the economy. Since they will have to put nearly the whole population of the world in jail their will be a real economic boom building prisons and jails.

I do think George Orwell had a pretty good idea of where the world is heading he just had the date a little ahead of the proper date. It would not happen by 1984 but the world he envisioned is coming to pass.

I remember when I read that book the date 1984 seemed so far in the future. Humm, now that date seems like the stone ages.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014 09:58 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
What Is ACTA And Why Is It A Problem?

Like Turbo, I did not hear about ACTA before, until, I came across in a Greek blog and to be honest after reading the various comments over there tottaly agree with Markj. [thumbs.gif]

It becomes clear that certain people on the other side of the pond (Atlantic), are doing everything possible to impose their dominance and control to the rest of world, even more, like they have none already. I get the impression that USA, the only superpower and those who are puling the strings of power, are trying hard and doing everything possible, to acquire the title given by the president gaga, “Reagan” to the ex- USSR ; “The Evil Empire”!

No, I am not trying to have ago or create Anti American feelings or propaganda with my previous comments, but there are many things instigated over there, which millions around the world don’t like or agree, especially when are imposed on them and ACTA, like SOPA (Stop Online Piracy Act) and PIPA (PROTECT-IP Act ) are some of the latest examples. Of course a Russian ex-communist friend could tell us; “It’s the Capitalistic system stupid!” (that is A title of a Book ...) and probably he/she could be right!

The US has been pushing for SOPA-like laws all around the world, even threatening countries with ‘retaliation actions’ if they didn’t pass them:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... ine-piracy

ACTA was instigated by the US trade reps under the Bush Administration, who devised and enforced its unique secrecy regime, but the Obama administration enthusiastically pursued it. ACTA is a secretly negotiated copyright treaty that obliges its signatories to take on many of the worst features of SOPA and PIPA. The EU is nearing ratification of it, if it hasn’t done already!

SOPA, PIPA now ACTA! ... And I am wondering what’s next?

Turbo is right that the world economy will take a huge boost and all of us will prosper till our time comes to fill those prisons we have build.

Just to make things interesting, the US Supreme Court has ruled that Congress can re-copyright public domain works in order to comply with international copyright laws.

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news ... -works.ars

Last few months, “youtube” has changed their policy about copyrighted material and many people find that either they can’t upload videos that have “Copyrighted Music” or they get a message saying that because royalties must be paid or they have to add advertisements to pay for it!

In November a Greek chap uploaded a video where the Greek National Anthem, (created 170 years ago), .. was played …. got the above message and after some investigation…… discovered that an obscure company had registered a copyright. In further investigation it transpires that company was a subsidiary and was owned by …… SONY!

Well it was a good fun watching the Greek minister under fire from all sides….. in the Greek parliament….. not sure if the "Copyright" ownership has been resolved.

NOW my friend Turbo or anybody else for that matter ……. [drink-coffee.gif]

Take a good look to the image below and tell me if you see anything …. Significant ???

[surprised.gif] . [wink.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 12 Jan 2014 14:10 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
I give up. I don't see anything significant.