All times are UTC

Post subject: The Kos Baker with the "big" heart
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 01 Oct 2015 17:10 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
The Kos Baker with the "big" heart!

"This man is Europe," said Jean-Claude Juncker (President of the European Commission), for the "Baker of Kos". Dionysis Arvanitakis, is a 76 years old baker that has managed with humanitarian work, to make the whole world talking about him.

Since March, he distributes daily bread, sweets and pastries to the immigrants who have flooded the island.

Speaking at star.gr noted that "charity is what we do" and he asks "Where is the state and where is the EU?".

Then he describes excited: "I was born very poor in Amaliada (west of Peloponese. I'm sorry more for the kids. They come every day to me and say "I am hungry", "Mam", fall on my feet. "

"We them bread, donuts, pastries, and pies etc. Two cars each day. We turn up and hand out on the sidewalks, where the people sleep. "

On the situation on the island, Mr. Arvanitakis comments: "The police make huge efforts but there is not enough staff and the immigrants are too many. Every day they come more and more. Fortunately the days there is wind, we know that there will come more because they can not travel. "

The generous baker, confided to us, in 1957 he was selling bagels at St. Nicholas in Patissia - Athens and soon he left for Australia and returned to Greece in 1970. He moved to the birthplace of his wife, Kos island and so far he has managed to create a chain Bakery shops on the island. He has four children, three sons, a daughter and nine grandchildren.

Speaking on realFM radio he said:

"How can we accept these people sleeping in the streets and suffer from hunger?"

"We are talking about real hunger," he said and Mr. Arvanitakis added:

"Every day wedeliver 50, 70, 100 loaves of bread, donuts and other stuff. I ask and put the kids in front of the line and distribute bread. Every day arriving moreand more refugees. I feel very sorry for these people. The situation for these people is very difficult. we have to do something to help them. "

Information from varius sites and Greek blogs. Photos from KosVoice.