All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: THE PARTHENON (ELGIN) MARBLES
Post Number:#21  PostPosted: 14 Oct 2010 09:57 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
59dotru wrote:
Malcolm wrote:
If we follow your example of Nelson's column to the logical conclusion, then every nation that ever took anything from any other nation should return it.
Consider this: Should the Germans be forced to compensate every country in which they destroyed buildings of historical importance during the war? Should the Russians be forced to hand over the countless artworks and documents they seized from other countries in the 20th century?
The list is endless.

It's a matter of opinion whether the Parthenon artefacts should be returned to Greece, not a matter of ownership. Greece did not own the marbles at the time of their removal, for the reasons I've already stated.

I know it's a matter of national pride for the Greek people but so are many things to many other countries.

You are wasting your time Malcolm, he is being so "Pig Headed" about this subject, you will never convince him otherwise...... [rolf.gif]
But good luck anyway....

Mel

Malcolm and me, as you already know, like to have a civilised debate about many things and as you must have noticed neither of us goes to any extremes, anymore. [biggrin.gif]

On the other hand I must [thanks.gif] you for all your excellent contributions you have made in the various threads that you took part, while visiting our board! [sarcastic.gif]

Champanski is on order [drinks.gif]

Post Number:#22  PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 13:36 
Admin

Malcolm

Have you read this excellent article that I have posted earlier?

viewtopic.php?p=882#p882

I am sure if you read it again, I did, there you will find plenty of answers to satisfy your unreasonable comments.

I am sure if you step back for a minute and reconsider your views regarding the return of the Parthenon Marbles you probably find that the demand for the return of the Parthenon Marbles is not an unreasonable or unjustified request.

The New Acropolis Museum

The Acropolis from the New Museum

and if you are willing.... one day, together with Anna, we can go and visit Acropolis together!

and I promise to take you to many good restaurants and then to Bouzoukia....for fun!

[aferim.gif]

Post Number:#23  PostPosted: 18 Oct 2010 17:01 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: more than 10
wiz wrote:
if you are willing.... one day, together with Anna, we can go and visit Acropolis together!

and I promise to take you to many good restaurants and then to Bouzoukia....for fun!

I'd be glad to take you up on your offer Yannis...and then we can all visit the British Museum to see the Elgin Marbles.

And I'll buy you a fish and chip supper afterwards.

[lol.gif]

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011 07:22 
The fate of Parthenon Marbles remains undecided.

The Greek government and populace cry out for their return and state with pride that Acropolis Museum has been constructed as worthy and rightful home.

Some voices in the British government sing the same chorus, introducing legislation before the Parliament to return Elgin Marbles to Greece.

Others worry that the return of the marbles set an unsettling precedent that will begin a wave of demand for the return of cultural artifacts. They argue that if this flood gate opened, some of world's most beloved museums will soon be barren.

Post Number:#25  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011 13:10 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Who gives a monkey's about a set of old marbles! Toys R Us have new ones in droves (the big ones too). [rolleyes.gif]

Post Number:#26  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011 17:45 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Vinnvinny wrote:
Who gives a monkey's about a set of old marbles! Toys R Us have new ones in droves (the big ones too). [rolleyes.gif]

If you don't give a monkey's......give it back to wiz! [tonque.gif]

Post Number:#27  PostPosted: 11 Jan 2011 22:15 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
Luckyspin wrote:
Vinnvinny wrote:

If you don't give a monkey's......give it back to wiz! [tonque.gif]

Ok by me. I've never used them anyway .... [rolleyes.gif]

Post Number:#28  PostPosted: 25 Jul 2011 21:57 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
It seems that Turkey, has scored a coup that may have set a precedent
and therefore may help Greece retrieve the Elgin Marbles.

From the Image
Quote:
22 July 2011 Last updated at 15:35 GMT
Weary Herakles bust to be returned by US to Turkey

The top half of the Weary Herakles statue, which was bought by the Boston Museum of Fine Arts in 1982, is to be returned to its native Turkey.

After an ongoing dispute, the MFA will reunite the bust with its lower half at the Antalya Museum later this year.

The announcement is seen as a victory for Turkey which is trying to retrieve artefacts it believes have been looted throughout the years.

It is thought the full statue will return to Boston on a short-term loan.

The top half of the sculpture of weary demigod Hercules was purchased in 1981 from a German dealer, by the MFA and late New York art collecter Leon Levy.

A year later, it was displayed at the US museum before being put into storage in 2007.

Turkish archaeologists were convinced the bust had been looted and taken from the country. At the same time, the lower half of the statue was discovered in 1980 at Perge in southern Turkey.

The MFA always denied that was the case, insisting the bust could have been found "any time since the Italian Renaissance".

Speaking to the Times newspaper, Katherine Getchell from the Boston Museum, said: "It's only in the last couple of years that they've presented us with photos and other evidence of looting from that site."

This is the latest victory for Turkey's campaign to track down lost antiquity.
For the rest of the story click the Newspaper-boy Image

Turkey is one of Greece's neighbouring countries but there is there is also a long historical list of animosity between the two countries, to a degree the animosity is still in existence today.

So it would be a beautiful ironic twist if Greece's arch enemy helps Greece to retrieve the artefacts that were removed from The Parthenon of Athens while Greece was under the rule of (then Ottoman) Turkey.

Post Number:#29  PostPosted: 26 Jul 2011 07:51 
Admin

I read this article the other day.....

I am not sure about the legality of it's ownership. It looks that the Germans Archaeologists have looted the Heracles sculptor and in my view.... it's right to be given back to Turkey, as the bottom half is in their Museum! [thumbs.gif]

I guess it was a Greek sculptor who made it... as you can see from the Name......... Herakles is a name from the Greek mythology and the area that was found, was minor Asia in the West of Turkey, which was occupied by the Greeks. Ionian League

Any how I don't think the British will ever return any valuable artefacts, especially the Parthenon Marbles! [sad.gif]

The British Museum [english_flag.gif] will be empty without them!
[sarcastic.gif]

Post Number:#30  PostPosted: 18 Aug 2012 20:58 
Admin

I AM GREEK AND I WANT TO GO HOME (link)
Independent Movement for the repatriation of looted Greek antiquities

http://www.iamgreek.gr/

I live away from my country, I am from Hellas (Greece) and I am proud for my county and always will be, not only for the achievements of our ancient ancestors but also for our modern history and I know one can tell me something different.To those who say that Hellenes are stuck in the past I would say........ ask every woman in the world if she has ever made the Papanikolaou (Pap) test (Screening for Cancer) and how many women were saved all over the world or who was the first country that recorded a win over the axis forces in ww2.

.[biggrin.gif].

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next