All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: I am glad that not all Americans are like this.
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010 21:07 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Sure Shaddow. These days it is very civilized. Lots of things you could do before you can't do now. You can't hit the quarterback after he throws the ball. You can't hit someone who is out of bounds. You can't roll into someone's knees. You can't horse collar someone. Well the name "Football" came from the early days when it was more rough and tumble and when they tackled someone they would never miss an opportunity to give them a swift kick with their foot to the other guys balls. Hence. "Football"

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 30 Aug 2010 21:59 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Football

Everybody on the world understand the name to mean, a game that players are moving a ball around with their foot (feet) and only the goalkeepers are allowed to use their hands to touch the ball.

The Americans to differentiate from their "so called football", which in reality is a variation of another game over here called "Rugby" named our football game...."soccer".

What soccer means and how it describes our football ....I have not a clue. [bad.gif]

Sorry Turbo.... but that is the truth of the matter and I am with Shadow in this!

ImageImage

The ball our players use.......is round! ............... Your lingerie players [tonque.gif]

Yours is oval!

Our fans......and your fan.....
Image. .Image

[rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif]

Thank you for the laughs!

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010 10:24 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
Turboguy wrote:
Sure Shaddow. These days it is very civilized. Lots of things you could do before you can't do now. You can't hit the quarterback after he throws the ball. You can't hit someone who is out of bounds. You can't roll into someone's knees. You can't horse collar someone. Well the name "Football" came from the early days when it was more rough and tumble and when they tackled someone they would never miss an opportunity to give them a swift kick with their foot to the other guys balls. Hence. "Football"

Typical to add rules that would harm the pretty looks [aferim.gif]

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010 18:12 
It's obvious you guys have never actually watched an American football game, it's about as far from "pansyball" as you can get. The reason they wear the pads is because they hurdle their bodies into each other at full speed. The sounds of these guys crashing into each other can be heard throughout the stadium. They are modern day gladiators, which by the way wore ARMOR too.

Soccer/football on the other hand...if someone sneezes on you, the player automatically throws himself to the ground rolling around in pain as if he has been stepped on by an elephant. Once the yellow or red card is drawn, he pops back up as if nothing has happened. Now THAT is a game of pansies. I agree with Turbo, it's very boring too. If i need a good nap I'll watch a soccer game, no need to worry about anyone scoring and waking me up as that rarely happens. :roll:

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010 18:48 
Veteran Member

Times_to_FSU: Too many (some would say)
jinx wrote:
It's obvious you giys have never actually watched an American football game, it's about as far from "pansyball" as you can get. The reason they wear the pads is because they hurdle their bodies into each other at full speed. The sounds of these guys crashing into each other can be heard throughout the stadium. They are modern day gladiators, which by the way wore ARMOR too.

Soccer/football on the other hand...if someone sneezes on you, the player automatically throws himself to the ground rolling around in pain as if he has been stepped on by an elephant. Once the yellow or red card is drawn, he pops back up as if nothing has happened. Now THAT is a game of pansies. I agree with Turbo, it's very boring too. If i need a good nap I'll watch a soccer game, no need to worry about anyone scoring and waking me up as that rarely happens. :roll:

Comparing American 'football' to 'soccer' is a little unfair as they are 2 completely different games. The closest we have is rugby where little or no body protection is worn as its not needed as it a game for gentlemen only.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1lBl5_IQjdI[/video]

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 31 Aug 2010 19:24 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
jinx wrote:
It's obvious you guys have never actually watched an American football game

OH YEAH ! .. ;)

I 'watched' the San Diego Chargers in 1990 - well I may as well have gone to see a band, some cheer leaders and the occasional bit of amour-clad chess ..... Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

jinx wrote:
it's about as far from "pansyball" as you can get.

Yeah - REAL football and Rugby has some movement .. ;)

jinx wrote:
Soccer/football on the other hand...if someone sneezes on you, the player automatically throws himself to the ground rolling around in pain as if he has been stepped on by an elephant.

More often than not THEY are the one's sent off, for diving / play acting ..

What can one say about a nation where the 'footballers' wear armour and take LonGgggg breaks, and the other popular game ( baseball) is based on Rounders - a game played by girls.. and then they have the 'cheek' to call something NO-one outside of N.America - other than Japan - really watches a 'world series [rolf.gif]

We've had 'attempts' to push American 'football' ..but WE really were bored.. the ratings fell away.. on the other hand... REAL football and even Rugby are becoming more and more popular in the US..

I'm joshing you, Jinx

Last edited by msmobyru on 31 Aug 2010 19:28, edited 2 times in total.

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 02:34 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Football

For the history of games played with balls read the article in Wikipedia.
Read the article by clicking the Newspaper BoyImage
Definition of pansy from the Online Slang Dictionary

For a definition of Pansyball don't click on the picture of a Pansyball line-up.

Just use common sense and think of handbags at twenty paces.

Further think of an event that has TV timeouts, two spring immediately to mind the Eurovision Song Contest and Pansyball, admittedly there are a few other events but there is only one event that has built into the rules a requirement that its games have twenty commercial breaks, with ten in each half so that the playes can have their milk and cookies.
For help in solving the conundrum here is a clue Image + Image
[rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif] [rolf.gif]

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 03:27 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
Moby, Baseball used to be "The American Sport" It has gone way downhill and although it is far more exciting than soccer it still is pretty boring. I don't pay much attention to it and most years can't even tell you who was in or won the world series. About the only year I followed it was when Boston broke their long, long jinx and part of that was because their coach was a local guy and I used to golf with his dad.

Soccer (or your football) is catching on big time here. I am not sure why but it is. We have soccer fields everywhere and it does seem like good excercise for kids. As far as Rugby, I have never heard the name mentioned over here so I am not sure I agree with it "catching on over here"

I have to agree with Jinx about the gladiator part. If they didn't wear all that protective gear they would all be dead before they retired. As it is, they are not paid enough and lots of them are physical wrecks when they retire. If you think it is such a pansy sport come on over and we can find a bunch of 350 pound guys to run at you full speed without you wearling pads and give you a chance to show your macho side for a few hours. I don't think it would take too many hits to decide they are not pansies.

I know they have tried to bring the best sport to Europe and that it has not gone well. I hear people didn't like the long breaks and for some strange reason found the game boring. Must be something in the water over there.

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 06:36 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
Turboguy wrote:
I know they have tried to bring the best sport to Europe and that it has not gone well. I hear people didn't like the long breaks and for some strange reason found the game boring. Must be something in the water over there.

Yeah, 'we' are aren't 'conned' by the associated razzmatazz .. ;)

Seriously we have less ad breaks - CERTAINLY NOT during a 45 minute half of footie ... I put the 'boredom' problem of my 'cousins from across the pond' down to a low attention span issue [wink.gif]

you know I'm joshing you, too ..Be good !

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 01 Sep 2010 07:04 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
Hey can a Canuck chime in? [underchair.gif]

Yanks I am going to side with the Euro's on this one. Our 'Football' is one boring game. A few seconds of action followed by minutes of down time. Real 'football' IMO is what the Euro's and the rest of the world play, and I do fully agree with Jinx that the fake injuries have done more harm to get the game played here on a higher level.

Take hockey, non stop action,speed,scuffels, and the fans on their feet during some games. Football the fans are drinking and stuffing their faces... or is that baseball? Yeah maybe B-ball.. Now that is just down right painfull to watch.zzzzzzzzzz

Soccer is gaining popularity in Canada, just look at the leauge in Toronto, they built a 6000 seater and they needed to make it bigger. Many immigrants take root in the GTA (80% to Canada,) so its bound to make gains over N.Am football.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next