All times are UTC

Post subject: Must see Moscow sites reached by Metro (Subway)
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 02:47 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Must see Moscow sites reached by Metro (Subway)

I have been to Moscow enough times that I'm starting to loose count, but that might have more to do with my bad memory.

Anyways, I'm spoiled in that I have often have someone to drive me around, but I truly look forward to exploring on my own with just a good guide book and multi-stop metro pass as most of the city is accessible.

So I thought I would share my list of places one should visit in Moscow, but before I get started I should write that if seeing the sites is the main reason to visit, then it's best to go between the months of May to September.

Also, make sure you have a good street map as it's very easy to get around riding the Metro, but very easy to get disoriented when exiting the station as there are often multiple exits and you are in unfamiliar terrain.

Now to make your travels easier, buy ten rides at the local ticket booth (usually found right before the gates for the trains). Also, you should be aware that the lady working the ticket booth will know zero English, but she will be able to count fingers which is usually sufficient for me to get my point across. For current ticket prices, go right to the metro website:

Moscow Metro Offical site ................................................. click here to get the Metro map in English!

Post subject: Re: Must see Moscow sites reached by Metro (Subway)
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 03:59 
Expert Member

First stop Okhotnyy Ryad
Red Square, St. Basils, Gum, Kremlin, and Bolshoy

This is the stop which will put you in the heart of Moscow, but also your first lesson about metro stops as it's a transfer point between metro lines 1, 2, and 3 (pay attention to the line numbers and not the colors as it'll be a lot easier to follow), but also pay attention to what stop you will be exiting from as you will find the one station will often have different names based on what line you are, so in this case you'll be exiting off the Red (1) line which is appropriate since you'll be looking at the entrance to Red Square when leaving the station.

You'll see the Kremlin to the right, the statue of Marshal Zhukov strait ahead, and the two entrances for Red Square (at least from this side).

So start walking, but go through the entrance on the left side as it'll be identified by the gate and you'll see lots of people standing in the middle of a circle throwing money over their shoulder and usually a poor Babushka collecting the coins, anyways.

It's worth taking a few photos, and the go through the gate and you'll be welcomed by probably the most familiar site on the other side of Red Square, this being St. Basils.

Walk towards the center of Red Square and while looking at St. Basils you'll notice the large building to your left which is the GUM department store and to your right is the Kremlin with the Saviours tower dominant and one story building in in front of the Kremlin wall being Lenins tomb (if you want to visit, get there in the AM as it's limited hours as I never seem to make it, but after seeing Ho Chi Ming in Hanoi, I have had my fill of wax figures).

Turn around and you'll see the Historic museum. I would recommend heading to the GUM store now and head inside.

OK, once inside the GUM, you'll notice a lot of high end stores, and the distinctive styling of the mall. Treat yourself to an ice cream and walk down the mall in the direction of St. Basils as you'll exit on a side street where all the traffic needs to take a right.

Cross the street and walk another block down (you'll be right next to St. Basils now, but wait, we'll come back to it) and cross the street either using a sprint to dodge traffic or use the underground under pass, and walk in the direction away from St. Basils (if you are headed toward the bridge, you are going in the wrong direction). Anyways, what you'll see about a block up the road are two old historic buildings, one being the English house and the other being the palace of the Romanov Boyars and notice how small it is, but remember this was there place before they ran all of Russia.

Now lets return taking a good look at St. Basils (pay the admission and go inside) and then head heading back in the direction in which you arrived, but exit on the left and not through the gate this time.

Once you leave Red Square, you will notice the black iron fence to your right, go through it and enter the Alexander garden area, but before you go too far, notice the Guards and eternal flame and if you are lucky you'll catch the changing of the guard.

Now if you look to your right you'll see the McDonalds and if you have the urge, it's probably the cleanest bathroom in the area, but even if you don't have to use it or eat french fries, walk in that direction as you'll see something of a moat with statues in it.

Walk along it until you get to the fountain with the horses in it. Head back to the Kremlin wall and then Angle towards the street as you'll find two ticket offices on either side of the walkway towards the Trinity Tower.

Be sure to purchase tickets to see the whole place, Armoury, Treasure room, and Kremlin grounds as you'll be rewarded with a big Cannon, defective bell, and lots of other goodies with the garden being a nice place to take a breather (for details on the Kremlin, refer to your guide book).

When you leave the Kremlin, walk back through Alexander Gardens, go past Zhukov's statue to the next square up from where you exited the Metro as it'll all be a pedestrian mall area and once you arrive at the square turn left and you'll be look at the Bolshoy theatre, after a snap or two, then its time to return to the Metro and head to our next stop.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 05:12 
Expert Member

Second Stop Kropotkinskaya

Pushkin Museum, Christ the Savior Church,
Peter the Great Statue, Stone Garden, and Gorky Park)

For our Metro tour of Moscow, we'll continue on the red line (1) to Kropotkinskaya.

The first thing you'll notice when stepping out of the station is the Christ the Savior Cathederal, but if you enjoy a good art museum then we'll cross the street and a little to your right will be the Pushkin (if you are not a big art fan then skip it as I feel it's the second best art Museum in Moscow).

After the Museum, cross over and check out the Cathedral on the inside and little garden area on the outside (it's a fairly new building as the original was destroyed by Stalin back in the 1930's).

After checking out the Cathedral, cross the river using the Pedestrian bridge as you'll first be on an island in the middle of the Moscow river (there are a few nightclubs in the area) and then cross to the other side (across the second pedestrian bridge) as you'll need to go down some stairs and then start walking down the river in the direction of the Peter the Great Statue where you'll get a good look at it.

Also, if you are there during the summer, you'll see a lot of stands ahead displaying work of local artists for sale (some of it's pretty interesting and other works are just basic landscapes), but before the stands for the artists you'll see the entrance to a small park which might have a small admission fee, but go in and have a walk around as this is where many of the old Soviet statues went.

When you are done walking around, talk past the large building which is the New Tretyakov where a lot of Modern art is on display (if you decide to go end, be sure to enter through the side doors and not the ones on the far end as that's where the ticket office for the art exhibit is located).

Now continuing the walk, you'll exit along a busy road so use the pedestrian underpass which will take you to the front of Gorky Park which is part amusement park and part entertainment venue as a lot of restaurants are located there including my favorite Uzbekistan restaurant (Chihana) which will be worth a stop to eat a little and recover from your short walk.

After you are done eating, exit Gorky park from the way you came in, cross the road and then cross the river using the sidewalk as your next subway stop will be Park Kultur as you are going to get on the circle route Brown (5) and go one stop to Kievskaya and then transfer to the blue (4) line and head over to Arbatskaya where we'll be making our next stop.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 23 Feb 2011 13:31 
Expert Member

Next Stop Arbatskaya

I should add a note at this point because the direction I told you to get here took you over a bridge that gave you good views up river towards the Peters the Great Statue, Christ the Savior Church, and the Kremlin. But, if you had walked in the opposite direction you would have ended up at the Octoberskaya metro station and had a few nice things to see such as a big statue of Lenin in a square across from the station, St. John the Warrior church across the street and hidden up a small ally, and the French embassy which is in an old historic building. You should also know that this stop was one of them that was bombed in 2010 so the second entrance to it was closed at the time I was last there in the fall of 2010.

OK, now back to Arbatskaya as the main destination will be Old Arbat which is a road full of historic buildings which has been made into something of a pedestrian mall. This is probably the part of Moscow that feels the most touristy as you have mostly restaurants (many western chains), the odd tattoo shop, and lots of souvenir stores (many of the souvenir stands that used to be there have been removed). Anyways, to get there from the station you'll need to cross the street and as you do look to your left as you'll see a nice tree lined boulevard which has a pedestrian area in the middle, if you walk down it you'll have a lot of good people watching, a few nice statues, and will end up back at Christ the Savior. But, you are not headed that direction as we want to see old Arbat.

You'll know when you enter the street, but on your left will be a few, not very well marked buildings for TNK-BP and on the right if you go around the corner you'll be at the historic Prague restaurant. What I would suggest is walk down the street to the far end, taking you time to enjoy the different sites along the way. About halfway down you'll see a side ally full of graffiti as it's dedicated to Russia's John Lenon (for the life of me I can't remember the name so maybe someone will help out). Anyways, when you reach the far side (you'll know as that's where McDonalds is located which again is not a bad bathroom stop), you can turn around and head back or go a little further and take a right at the corner as you'll then be in front of the Russian Foreign Ministry which is housed in one of the old Soviet era sky scrapers.

Now if you are hungry for some well priced Russian food, you can stop at MuMu's (you'll know it as it'll be distinguished by cow decorations on the outside) which is a cafeteria style restaurant, but has pretty good food and I enjoy eating there.

A nice video and song about Arbat from USSR times

Moi Arbat

by Bulat Okudjava

OK, back to the Metro station to head to our next stop...

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 02:35 
Expert Member

Next stop Park Pobedy (Victory Park, Triumphal Arch)

OK, if you are continuing from our last stop, then we'll be changing trains at Kievskaya again, but this time we'll be switching to the purple (3) line. The few times I have been on this line I have always thought it contained the newest subway cars in the Moscow Metro and easiest to figure out what stop you are at as the train process is tracked in each car. Anyways, be sure you exit in the right direction as we will first pop out in the middle exit which will be between the two lanes of traffic, but it'll give you the best chance to check out Moscow Triumphal Arch which I do believe was put up after they defeated the short man from France, not that I think about it, they should really have a snow man as I always thought the battle of Borodino was a draw and it was winter that beat the French, but then again I do not worry about it as it's still a good photo opt. After satisfying your curiosity, then return in the direction of Victory Park.

Once you pop out of the Metro, you can't miss Victory Park as it's a HUGE area and right in front of you (as long as you exited on the correct side). You'll find fountains on either side and if the weather is hot like it was in 2010, you'll find plenty of people trying to cool off in them. If you do not like walking, do not worry as a small train of cars will take you to the other end, but it's much better to walk. Anyways, you'll notice on your left a number of kiosks where you can purchase some refreshments and a sloping hill area where you can relax a little. Oh, the central monument is named "Nike", but no signs of the Swoosh from Beverton. Within the monument will be a museum to the Great Patriotic War or WWII to us westernerns. Anyways, after viewing everything, smile as now you get to walk back to the Metro station.

Since we picked up a little of the militaristic theme, why not continue and head over to the Central Armed Forces Museum, it's the only place where we'll find the remains of the U2 spy plane shot down by the Soviets in 1962 which caused Khrushchev to find alternate uses for his shoes. Talking about shoes, you'll need to do a little walking as there is a Metro station just around the corner, but as of 2010 (summer) it still was not open.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 03:00 
Expert Member

Novoslobodskaya or Dostoyevskaya
(Armed Forces Museum, Army Theatre, and Ekaterininskiy Park)

Note: If it's open then skip Novoslobodskaya and head directly to Dostoyevskaya station as you'll save a lot of walking, but check before hand as it was closed in summer 2010 when I visited. If not, and you get off at Novoslobodskaya, then be sure you walk in the right direction or else you'll go mad trying to locate where you are as it's about a 10 minute walk when leaving the station, just don't walk along the busy road in front of the station or cross it, which means you'll need to walk along a small road which will pass right by the Army Theatre (looks impressive on the outside, but I have not seen a performance there) and is next to the Dostoyevskaya station.

OK, once you pass the threatre, you might as well enter the park which is just to the south of the museum, it has a nice lake to walk around and a cafe at one end of it to relax (if you are one who is tired from the short walk). In the park you'll see a lot of people out for a stroll which makes for good people watching, plus you'll have a chance to rent a small rowboat on the lake.

After exiting the park from the same side you entered, take a right and walk a few hundred meters before you find yourself in front of the museum. In it, you'll see a lot of displays from the Revolution to Afghanistan, but what I enjoyed the most was the flight line out back where you had most Soviet made aircraft along with all their armor fighting vehicles. I knew security was not so great when I noticed a group of young boys running across the airplanes, jumping from wing to wing (I wonder what mother would say).

OK, enough of this military hardware as I think it's time to check out a Russian flea market and the cities biggest park, so back to the Metro...

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 03:29 
Expert Member

Partizanskaya (Izmailovsky Park, Flea Market, and Hotel)

Note: This station used to be called Izmailovsky Park which is what it's marked on many Metro maps.

OK, when you depart the Metro station, you will notice the tall building and built-up area, this is the Izmailovo hotel that was built for the 1980 Olympics and is not a bad hotel, as long as you get a renovated room. Anyways, we are here for the Mark and Park so just follow the crowd as they are all headed to the market.

Along the way you'll see some ladies sitting in front of a big yellow barrel, this is your chance to buy some Kvas which is a popular bread drink in Russia.

Now to the Market, it's the opposite of the high end stores you saw at GUM as this is where the poor Russians shop, you can also sample some of the food as it's cheap and tasty (hey, I did not get sick the two times I ate here). Note, you'll first pass stands of cheap (probably counterfeit) junk, but you should then enter through the the castle or fortress (not sure what it's meant to be) entrance for the true market and take your time to look around as you just might find a cheap souvenir.

After leaving the market, on the way back to the Metro, look to your right as there is an island inside the lake. This is where Peter the Great grew up and it's written somewhere that he learned to sail on the lake. Anyways, you'll need to cross a small bridge to get there and then circle around the lake as you'll see the old gate to the estate and the church, but you will also have a fun view back towards the flea market and hotel. After taking your snaps, it's time to return to the metro.

Next stop, we'll take in a little back track a little and now that I think about it, one could flip the two stops in order. Sorry as you can tell I'm not writing this with much planning, just a memory of what is worth seeing in Moscow and hand be handled in a few days.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 04:32 
Expert Member

VDNKh (All Russia Exhibition Center,
Ostankino Palace, and Ostankino Tower)

When you get out of the Metro station you will see the pillars for the entrance, so head that direction and follow the crowd as it'll be hard to get lost (you'll be passing under the monorail). OK, I'll let you in on a secret as it's really not a Exhibition Center and instead I giant flea market. The reason I would recommend people to go visit, is because of exhibit buildings are pretty impressive and give off a very Soviet feel that is hard to find elsewhere in Moscow. Take your time and check out the buildings (even the junk for sale inside) and fountains on the grounds.

Once you tire of the Exhibition grounds, lets go check out the Ostankino Palace which also contains a small theatre where sometimes you can catch a performance. To get there, you need to exit the Exhibition grounds and do a little walking
(OK, maybe more than a little, but as you might have figured out I like to walk). So you do not like walking, then I guess you'll need to catch the monorail which has a station in front of the entrance and check the map as you will want to go in the direction of Teletsentr. When you get off you can cross the street to the tower or walk around the lake to the Palace (the outside was under renovation in 2010). Anyways, they have a nice tour (if you have someone who can translate or just opt to walk trough on your own). When you are finished with the tour, you can take a walk in the Garden and then take the monorail back to the metro.

Now it's time to get a little more religious...

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 24 Feb 2011 04:49 
Expert Member

Proletarskaya

OK, this is not one of the normal tourist stops, but I found it to be one of those tucked away corners of Moscow where you can get a few decent pics and relax and do a little People watching. Just be sure you walk in the correct direction when exiting the Metro, because if you walk along the main road for about 50 meters and see something of a roundabout for the street cars, you are going in the wrong direction. If you see a Holiday in about 100 meters down the road, you are headed in the correct direction (BTW, it's a good place to stop if you need to use the toilet).

Now to the sites, the first place you'll be stopping is the Novospassky Monastery as it'll be easy to spot with a tower in front of it's walls. Walking around inside give you a taste of history and be sure to enter the Church. After you are done walking around, you'll head out and to your right where you'll cross the street as we're headed to the Kruititskoe Mission.

The Mission seems to mostly be ruins, but has some nice old architecture which the art students were busy painting when I visited. Getting there is not real obvious as you want to cross the road to the same side that the Holiday Inn is located, then head down towards the river and you'll take the road right after the hotel (not to be confused with the ally in back of it) as you will take the left and walk up a little hill until you arrive at the gate where you can enter.

Take your walk around and then return down the hill to the street and go down to the embankment on the river and then take a right as you're going to visit the park as there is a small lake to walk around, but looking up above the tree line you see the buildings of the monastery which is a nice view and if you head over to the river you'll have a nice view of the "Red Hills Business Center" and Moscow International Music House.

OK, time to return to the Metro as I would want to introduce you to some of my favorite Parks and outdoor areas.

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 02:14 
Expert Member

Ryazanskiy Prospekt (Kuskovo)

OK, I'll keep the description for this one short as I doubt most people will want to walk the mile (1.3 Km) to the estate, but I'll leave it out there as a little teaser. It's one of the Sheremetev estates whith a grand building and several out buildings. Plus, the gardens are great to get lost in which makes it understandable why you'll see so many newlyweds here on the weekend getting their pictures taken.