All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Must see Moscow sites reached by Metro (Subway)
Post Number:#11  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 02:44 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Kolomenskaya or Kashirskaya (Kolomenskoe)

OK, I have been to this park twice using either of the above Metro stops, but I feel that Kashirskaya is the better option as you'll need to walk a good distance from either stop, to see everything in the park. OK, since we have a ways to go lets get walking, but first be sure you exit from the right side as I'm guessing you will follow my advice (even though I don't admit to being an expert) and will be getting off at Kashirskaya so you need to look around and if you see a parking area in back of the station and then short side walk to a tunnel under the road, you are headed in the right direction.

On entering the park you will notice the first main site which is the newest addition (rebuilt) as it's the wooden Tsars palace. You can go inside for a brief distraction and to take a few pictures. Once you exit the palace, you will take a right (if standing in the direction you entered the park) and will head down to the the next road and make a left where you'll go for a long walk. A little ways down you'll have an option to go down to the river (nice walk) or stay up on the bluff (if you are thinking that by staying up on the bluff you will avoid having to go up any hills, well think again). Anyways, I'm guessing you are staying up on the bluff so continue walking as it's not really that far (OK, that's only true if you run marathons), but you are rewarded with nice views of the river and you will know you are getting close when you see the church. At this time you will cut through the church yard and go down the steps across the gully and up the steps on the other side (yes, you get the hill). Once up the other side you are rewarded with a nice park area with many buildings scattered on the ground. At this time I would vector towards the tall white tower (Church of the Ascension) as you'll have a great view of the river and you'll see several benches on which to rest. If you look left down the river you'll see a river port, head down and see if you can catch a boat back to the center of Moscow and then come back to this thread and let me know if it's possible as I always thought it would be fun. Anyways, wonder around the grounds and see if you can find the Wooden Gate Tower, Front Gate, The stockade, and St. Saviour's Gate. Once you pass through the gate, make a right and walk a little distance (this time I really mean it) as you'll see a number of small restaurants where you get get something to eat and drink while cursing me of wearing out the soles of your shoes.

Once you are finished, eating then make a right and continue walking in the opposite direction until you hit the main road and then make a left and walk until the Kolomenskaya metro station.

Post Number:#12  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 02:59 
Expert Member

Taritsyno (Taritsyno)

OK, the first thing you need to know is when leaving the Metro station, you will not walk to the train station as you should exit on the other end. Also, look to your right as you'll see the underpass for the train tracks and a lot of people walking in that direction as it's the direction you want to go. OK, just cross the street and you are there and will be rewarded with a very nice view of the park, lake, and fountain (they light is up with night which is a very nice effect). Stroll a little to your left to the main walk and follow it until you come to the second lake and then turn left as you will see the "Figure Bridge" a little up the hill (take your picture and continue walking). Once you make it up the hill you will be rewards with a view of several nice buildings, including the main building. Now walk past the church with the bell tower and then make a right as you'll find a restaurant in which to have some refreshments as you are on vacation so enjoy yourself.

On the way back to the Metro station, see if you can find some free space on one of the benches and just soak up the moment and imagine what it was like during the time of Catherine the Great.

OK, we will now return to some of the sites that are on most peoples top 10 list.

Post Number:#13  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 03:09 
Expert Member

Sportivnaya (Novodevichiy Convent)

OK, when we exit the subway, make a right and keep on walking until you cross a main road and reach the park. Once you reach the park, go left and you will soon see the walls to the Convent (I'm thinking the walls were to keep all the Russian women who were sent to live in a sort of exile here). Anyways, on the inside you have some nice buildings to take pictures of including the Bell Tower and if you look to your left after entering the convent you will see a model of the place (I'm not sure why, but I always thought they were cool). You'll see a lot of grave stones inside the convent, but if you pass through to the other side you'll be in an even bigger cemetery where the likes of Chekhov, Gogo, Bulgakov, Khrushchev, and Yeltsin.

Once you are done with the convent go walk around the little lake as views from the outside sometimes are even better than the inside. You'll also run into a lot of married couples having their pictures taken.

Post Number:#14  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 03:27 
Expert Member

Universitet (Msocow State University and Sparrow Hills)

OK, when you exit the Metro, look up the street and if you see the circular building for the Moscow Circus at Sparrow Hills, start walking in that direction. Then cross the road, heading to the tall building which is the main building for Moscow State as you can walk around the buildings and realize this is Russia's version of Harvard as I have met more than a few really smart people who attended school here. Circle around the building and walk up the street towards the low lying wall in the distance where you should see a lot of souvenir stands and probably the usual number of wedding parties taking pictures. You will be rewarded with one of the best views of Moscow which is a must stop for any tourist visiting the city.

OK, back to the Metro as we are about to make the last stop of places I want you to see...

Post Number:#15  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 03:59 
Expert Member

Tverskaya (Pushkin Statue, Theatres, and Hermitage Gardens)

This is our last stop as I want to relax at a nice cafe in Hermitage Gardens, but I should mention this area is very familiar as it seems to be full of Theatres and if my memory is any good (doubtful) then I think the McDonalds you see across the street was the first one in Russia (yes, it's still a good place to stop if you need to use the toilet). Anyways, since we are here and the fact I like hamburgers, we might as well get one as then I'll tell you about a Russian friend who had an apartment across from it. She said the lines were so long that she's have friends calling her to see if there was a break, but that was back in 1990 and now that I think about it, the quality of there burgers has not improved so lets skip it and head of to the park for refreshments.

OK, to get to the park, you can either get lost and stroll along the side roads until you find it. Or just walk up the pedestrian mall area (side of street where the Pushkin statue is on) until you come to the theatre and then take to the sidewalks and keep on walking until you hit the next main road and make a left. Walk a little ways and you'll see the entrance to the park as it contains an Opera theatre and if you are lucky, you'll hear them practicing during the day. Anyways, walk around the back of the Opera building and you'll then have a choice of several nice cafes to have a refreshment.

Once you are done with the park, then walk back to the Metro, but instead of getting on make a left on Tverskaya as this is one of Moscows main road and heads right back to the start of our journey. Along the way do a little window shopping and with a good map and tourist book you'll discover lots of nuggets worth seeing along the way with just short walks up side streets, but for now I hope you enjoyed the journey.

Post Number:#16  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 04:24 
Expert Member

I have written this with no thought of actual logistics, just what came to me mind. So in a later post I'll give it a little thought to give you the route to see most of the sites in the shortest period of time. Also, I'll like to thank Wiz as he as added in pictures and formatted the pages a little.

Post Number:#17  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 04:46 
Expert Member

The stop I forgot Tretyakovskaya (Tretyakov Gallery, Chuch of the Resurrection of Kadashi, and Bolotnaya Square)

I guess I ended my tour to soon as I forgot my favorite museum in Moscow. Anyways, you need to get off at Tretyakovskaya and cross the street at the McDonalds and you'll go down a small ally past a little park and then a square is a nice fountain. Next street up, take a right and the Gallery entrance will be on your left. If you enjoy art, this is a must see and can absorb more than a few hours.

The museum is on a pedestrian mall so when you are finished with the Tretyakov, head down to the river and cross the little foot bridge (if you look up you'll get a glimpse of the Kremlin). On the bridge you'll find lots of simulated metal trees full of locks, these are put there by newlyweds (typically they are locked on the bridge, but I guess these were put there as a way of creating new space). Continue into the little garden park and make a right and walk down to the end and check out the statues as I'm not sure what it is, by they make me think (this can be scary).

When you are done, then cross back over the bridge, go left to the next street and then head up it looking to the sky as you'll soon see the church for the Kadashian's which is worth a few snaps as it was renovated not that long ago.

Post Number:#18  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 11:44 
Expert Member

Time for some Cheesy pictures from some of the stations.
We'll start with the area around Red Square/Alexander Gardens.

GUM from the outside, it looks much better inside.

Looking at the entrance to Red Square from the end of Tvarskaya.

Not sure if I would put my foot in that water...

Getting ready for a change of guard.

Red Square and me looking like an American.

Post Number:#19  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 11:48 
Expert Member

Now pics from inside the Kremlin.

There is a nice garden area on the inside.

They certainly liked their churches.

I they could have used this cannon to shot people out of it, is that what happened to the one Polish dude?

Sometimes big is not so good!

Post Number:#20  PostPosted: 25 Feb 2011 11:54 
Expert Member

Pictures from along the river near Christ the Saviour.

Stone Garden where old monuments go to die.

Time for a paddle boat ride in Gorky park.

Inside Gorky park, where cowboys are popular.

Art row along the river looking back at the Peter the Great statue.

From the Pedestrian Bridge across the river.