All times are UTC

Post subject: Plural Modernised Russia
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 28 Apr 2011 23:42 

Her/His Country: DK/RU
Times_to_FSU: 8
Hi

I noticed many times, people describe Russia as a one nation, especially when people hs visit S.P or Moscow, then they think they have seen Russia. But I disagree strongly, there is a system used in all Russia, like the educational and legal system. But how people live, is different due to climate, economy and cultural differency.
I noticed the admin here try to inform that, and I like that.

And today, Russia is changing. I use to say from 2003 to 2008, a 5 year term where Russia did changed something like 5 decades, economically but also in lifestyle and mentally.
Example: During my first visit in february 2003, during a 9 day stay in 'provincial' city with 640000 citizen, I heard englisk twice !!!! (= 1%), in 2004 I estimated the english songs in the radio to be 20%, last year it was more than 50%, maybe close to 70%.

Viking

Post subject: Re: Plural Modernised Russia
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011 01:29 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
viking wrote:
Hi

I noticed many times, people describe Russia as a one nation, especially when people hs visit S.P or Moscow, then they think they have seen Russia. But I disagree strongly, there is a system used in all Russia, like the educational and legal system. But how people live, is different due to climate, economy and cultural differency.

And today, Russia is changing. I use to say from 2003 to 2008, a 5 year term where Russia did changed something like 5 decades, economically but also in lifestyle and mentally.
Example: During my first visit in february 2003, during a 9 day stay in 'provincial' city with 640000 citizen, I heard englisk twice !!!! (= 1%), in 2004 I estimated the english songs in the radio to be 20%, last year it was more than 50%, maybe close to 70%.

Viking

Viking,

Not just songs on the radio, but how often English is used in ads. I know if they used Russian in American adverts as often, we would be left very perplexed [whiteflag.gif] .

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 29 Apr 2011 06:34 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
viking wrote:
Hi

I fully agree with your above observation. [clap.gif]

I would go as far as to say that visiting Moscow or St. Petersburgh or even if the individual visits both and then saying that they know Russia is about the same as someone going into a Scandinavian bar in their own country and becoming an instant expert about Scandinavia.
ImageI picked on Scandinavia because you are a Dane Image and you will understand how ridiculous that would be.

The great diversity that can be found in Russia is almost incomprehensible to a foreigner even one that has visited a few diverse regions in the vast country that is Russia.
In my opinion to understand fully the diversity of Russia one would have to spend most of one's life in Russia.

viking wrote:

Viking

Yes, Russia is changing, but some parts of Russia are changing faster that others, some of the change is "Internet driven" and other changes are driven by the exposure of Russians to foreign cultures such as foreign music on the radio (as you pointed out) and of course exposure to actual foreigners.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 May 2011 22:38 

Her/His Country: DK/RU
Times_to_FSU: 8
One story I encountered few years ago were about Kazan. They wanted to moderinize the main street with cafe's and so on, in an european style.

Guess where they went: Ektaterinburg, behind the Urals.

Even Russia is changing, I have the last 10 years in-person, at fora, at tv, at news heard/read/saw ONE man, who married a woman from a city with less than 100.000 citizen and the combined popoulation in Russia living in citizen with 100.000 or more, is barely 50%.

Viking