All times are UTC

Post subject: Finding the ‘real’ Russia in Moscow
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011 11:13 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Finding the ‘real’ Russia in Moscow

An old but very interesting article By Paul Gould in the FT

A few miles west of the Kremlin, on the banks of the Moskva River, a mighty new citadel of Russian power is taking shape. At its heart will be a skyscraper 93 storeys high, whose ambition is to be the tallest in Europe.

Clustered around it, like the churches and palaces clustered within the Kremlin, are yet more glass-clad office blocks, all skywards-thrusting and abuzz with round-the-clock construction.

Behold the Moscow International Business Centre. Popularly known as “Moscow-City,” it is for me the most striking symbol of the oil wealth Russia has enjoyed since I was last here 10 years ago. It is Moscow’s answer to London’s Canary Wharf or La Défense in Paris.

Moscow-City also sends another message to the world: that Russia has never liked to be outdone. There are echoes here of the 1930s Palace of the Soviets, designed to surpass the Empire State Building, but then abandoned; or of the space race and arms race of the cold war years. Moscow-City may look futuristic, but a desperation to catch up with the west is ingrained in Russia’s DNA, from Peter the Great to Khrushchev’s boast to western ambassadors in 1956, “we will bury you.”

Read the full article here: Finding the Real Russia. [click-me.gif] .

Post subject: Re: Finding the ‘real’ Russia in Moscow
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 08 Jun 2011 18:24 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
Luckyspin wrote:
Behold the Moscow International Business Centre. Popularly known as “Moscow-City,” it is for me the most striking symbol of the oil wealth Russia has enjoyed since I was last here 10 years ago. It is Moscow’s answer to London’s Canary Wharf or La Défense in Paris.

Problem with the business center is that it does not have enough parking for those Russians who love their cars (once a Russian leaves the metro, they don't want to return to riding the rails). I have heard of at least one big International company which moved from it due to this fact.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 02:04 

Her/His Country: United States
Wow! I like the picture, Nice building structure! Glad to see that! Thanks for sharing!

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 09 Jun 2011 12:13 
Expert Member

RW_here_since: Nov 2011
Times_to_FSU: 10+
The attached picture actually reminds me of Triumph Palace which is a high end residence.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 09 Jul 2011 14:52 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: more than 10
The building in the picture is an apartment block at Sokol, north of Moscow centre on the Leningrad highway. It was built in imitation of the Seven Sisters skyscrapers which were built in the fifties. It's not a particularly attractive location but the building itself is impressive and the apartments are quite expensive, even by Moscow standards.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 12 Jul 2011 23:54 

Her/His Country: USA
Times_to_FSU: twice
It's a handsome building for sure, but if it is more overpriced then others which I already consider to be overpriced, it would not ever be for me unless I spoke Russian fluently and was born in or near Moscow. As it is I would still much rather own a condo in a much more livable and in my opinion more beautiful city such as Vienna, Austria or Munich, Germany or Milan, Italy or closer to home Seattle, Washington.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.