All times are UTC

Wrong or Right?
Poll ended at 28 Mar 2011 17:15
Wrong. 38%  38%  [ 3 ]
Right. 63%  63%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 8
 Post subject: Regarding the TOS. Am I wrong? Am I right?
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 17:15 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
To me it seems simple.

There are two options.

Option 1
Someone does not accept the Terms Of Service. They do not log on to the board.

Option 2
By logging to the board the individual indicates that they accept the Terms of Service.

Post subject: Re: Regarding the TOS. Am I wrong? Am I right?
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 17:50 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
ras of course you are right [happy.gif]

But then there are always those that insist on being different and above such things [rolleyes.gif]

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 17:56 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Ah,

But what if you -agreed- to the tos, registering your account , you logged on many of occasions and now they changed the tos without your knowledge.

Can you login and still post? Even if you didn't explicitly accept the new TOS? and what if you don't want to accept the new TOS.

(btw, there's an interesting discussion with me/manny somewhere in the hidden rooms of RUA about TOS!).

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 18:20 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

RW_here_since: May 09
Times_to_FSU: 20+
Markje wrote:
Ah,

But what if you -agreed- to the tos, registering your account , you logged on many of occasions and now they changed the tos without your knowledge.

Quite true and easily overlooked
Markje wrote:

Can you login and still post? Even if you didn't explicitly accept the new TOS? and what if you don't want to accept the new TOS.

Now there is an idea perhaps after a TOS change the requirement should be when you log in is to first agree to the new TOS then?

Markje wrote:
(btw, there's an interesting discussion with me/manny somewhere in the hidden rooms of RUA about TOS!).

Ohhhhh more than likely [happy.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 19:02 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
The discussion has been a nice point between Manny and Jack where I gave a subtle hint.

You accept the TOS when you make an account. If the TOS change at any time without your knowledge, this means that you can consider not being bound by them until you get notified. This can be by a post or (to be more secure) by something you have to acknowledge.

If you decide to not accept a change in the TOS, also all posts you have made before the change should fall under the old TOS, and not the new one.

Especially in changes due to copyright issues and usage of materials this can be tricky.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 20:11 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
The FACT... most ToS aren't worth diddly, legally... You can state "I only agreed to tick yes to be able to post " and point out why the ToS aren't legally valid - just like *I* did when you 'changed the ToS' on here ..

They aren't legally valid, and I expect you'll delete this post - But I'll keep posting it.

NOTE: Post approved by Wiz

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 20:46 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
I understand you are talking about the TOS of our site and its acceptance or not.

May I remind all of you of the following:

1. When you decided to register with our site and before you went any further you were given the TOS to read and then asked to accept or not. It appears that none of you bothered to read what it is written there and what you agreed and accepted.
    I suggest when you log off click the button Register and you will see the TOS again.

To save you time here is what you have accepted and for those who have a problem with our TOS and dispute what they have accepted, I am increasing the text size so they do not need glasses to read:

Russian World Forums - Registration

By accessing “Russian World Forums” (hereinafter “we”, “us”, “our”, “Russian World Forums”, http://www.russianworldforums.com ), you agree to be legally bound by the following terms. If you do not agree to be legally bound by all of the following terms then please do not access and/or use “Russian World Forums”. We may change these at any time and we’ll do our utmost in informing you, though it would be prudent to review this regularly yourself as your continued usage of “Russian World Forums” after changes mean you agree to be legally bound by these terms as they are updated and/or amended.

Our forums are powered by phpBB (hereinafter “they”, “them”, “their”, “phpBB software”, “www.phpbb.com”, “phpBB Group”, “phpBB Teams”) which is a bulletin board solution released under the “General Public License” (hereinafter “GPL”) and can be downloaded from http://www.phpbb.com. The phpBB software only facilitates internet based discussions, the phpBB Group are not responsible for what we allow and/or disallow as permissible content and/or conduct. For further information about phpBB, please see: http://www.phpbb.com/.

You agree not to post any abusive, obscene, vulgar, slanderous, hateful, threatening, sexually-orientated or any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Russian World Forums” is hosted or International Law. Doing so may lead to you being immediately and permanently banned, with notification of your Internet Service Provider if deemed required by us. The IP address of all posts are recorded to aid in enforcing these conditions. You agree that “Russian World Forums” have the right to remove, edit, move or close any topic at any time should we see fit. As a user you agree to any information you have entered to being stored in a database. While this information will not be disclosed to any third party without your consent, neither “Russian World Forums” nor phpBB shall be held responsible for any hacking attempt that may lead to the data being compromised.

2. The additional TOS and guide lines of the RWF site are posted globally in all forums and if you avoid or missed to read them then it is not the fault of Russian World Forums.

Before Christmas last year, a consultation with most members took place and all of you who have posted so far, took place in that consultation, apart from Moby and finally we all agreed to the modified text, rules and conditions about the licensing to RWF, by the copyright owners, regarding posting images, links and intellectual property.

An announcement was made on the 31 December 2010 regarding these changes: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1127

So RWF according to its TOS has fulfilled any obligations that may have to its membership, and that is the End of the matter.

3. May I kindly remind everybody that Russian World Forums is a private owned site and nobody is forced to accept our conditions or forced to post on our board. Our own obligation is, despite the disclaimer in the TOS, for us to do our best to protect the private information of our membership and that goes without saying that we will do it!

4. For those who still have any objections about our TOS, may I suggest you visit both the other large forums and read their terms of use. You will be surprised to find out that when registering at their board you were also obligated to surrender your copyright for any images and intellectual property to them! [wink.gif]

5. The member who has disputed acceptance of our TOS and their fairness, has been advised several times to consult his solicitor and take advice. It is my view that, there is no point continuing this conversation with somebody who can't understand basic English.

6. If he wishes, as he told one of our moderators, to make a post elsewhere and talk about our unacceptable and unfair terms of our site, to a site where many more people will read his points of view, he is very welcome to do so.

There is nothing more to add on this subject.

[smiling.gif]

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 21:00 
Banned

Times_to_FSU: Loads of time
There most certainly IS 'things to add'.. like why 'someone' felt the need to delete my two earlier 'attempts' ? ;)

Whether the board is private (or not ) has NO relevance to your 'ToS' being unlawful or legally imposable - kindly stop claiming they are... !

As for other boards - the same applies... if a forum breaks a law ( say a copyright one ) it's ToS cannot claim right's

Whether board owners like it ( or not ) a member CAN revoke authorisation to use images .

Suggesting otherwise is folly as suggesting members aren't 'knowledgeable' without having tested your contention in Court is a mugs game...

Putting you responses in red / bold or repeating a mistake won't make it fact, Wiz.

This is not trying to be 'destructive' .. if you keep taking it as such, I guess this will be another post that 'disappears' [rolfsmall.gif]

Approved by wiz

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 21:31 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Wrong again old boy! I approved your post to stop you laughing!
I don't want something to happen to you tonight.... from laughing too much! [tonque.gif]

Any how in reply to your comments, I refer you to my previous answer here and to my advice for you to visit your solicitor and take legal advice.

It is you who is complaining..... not me, therefore take legal advice and then go to court to test the legality of our TOS. [rolfsmall.gif]

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 26 Feb 2011 22:41 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Should I start another poll?

This other poll could be about going to a shop and being told that a loaf of bread costs “X”.

I think that the loaf of bread is overpriced.
So should I demand that the shop owner sells me the bread at the price that I am willing to pay?

Or alternatively

I go to a nightclub; I am informed that there is a cover charge.

I consider the cover charge to be excessive.

Should I demand that I am allowed to enter by paying what I consider to be an appropriate charge?

Reality check time.

If someone (whoever it is) does not accept the Terms that they agreed to by consenting to post then they have the option to vote (with their feet).