All times are UTC

Post subject: Modification Update on the site
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 17 May 2009 11:56 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Quick Update for changes made to our board

Just for your information I have been busy upgrading the board and now we have the latest version and more secure software possible. :D

I have also installed a new Antispam system to avoid automatic spamming bots registering daily......and for the past 5 days instead of 10-20 inactive registrations... the count went down to zero. :D

Of course we can't avoid the human spammers... but that can be acted ASAP when it comes to our attention, so please alert me by email or a PM.

1. I hope you have noticed the change of the width and you like it. Now we have more space to post larger photos.....

2. Later today I will try to install a couple of new cosmetic modifications ..... and will let you know if they work or not.

3. Also later I wil create a new BBCode to allow us posting photos inside the text with wraparound text, as you can see on this article about Norton's Eurovision debut reviewed on the BBC site, together with captions under the photos.

When you post a link it will be easier to be recognised if you use the Bright Blue, like this. Thanks

4. What do you think about our Banner photo?

Is it good and sharp enough?

Please let me know here, on this thread, your views and comments.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Modification Update on the site
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 24 May 2009 14:04 
Veteran Member

RW_here_since: 2007
Times_to_FSU: 25
It sounds like you are making some nice chages Wiz. Running a forum for my industry and having gone through all the spam bot problems I can relate to what a pain it is. I think you will find there are very few human spammers and your problems will be behind you.

The banner, I think it looks great. Interesting, well balanced, conveys instantly the theme of the site, nice colors, not to bright, not too soft. Great job just as it is.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 25 May 2009 07:53 
Admin

Turbo

It has been nearly 10 days now and No Bot registrations.... :D

The phpBB community forum has some great people who help and answer any questions or mofifications you want to make.

This Polish guy came up with this latest Antispam modification.......and everybody who has installed.... have no more BOT registrations. :D

I know that some people find it difficult to post Images on the board.... and this software has a very easy option for it... to ATTACH and post images IN LINE with the text but somwehere I have made a mistake.........which I hope to resolve in a day or two.

UPDATE 25 May: Actually is not mu mistake but a problem with the style we use for the forum. I hope we can resolve it soon and make posting attachements easy.

I am playing around on the Rubbish forum......

Once this small problem is resolved... then we will have 2 easy ways to post photos inside the text and with a wrap around text too option. :D

I have already created the IMGLEFT and IMGRIGHT bbCode which you can use to post photos with a URL to an Image on another server.... with wraparound text.

Have you read this post?

The Essence of Russia: Devushki, Zhenshchiny, Babushki

Donhollio is happy with it! :D

If you have any other suggestions please let me know and I will do my best. ;)

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 26 May 2009 16:46 
Veteran Member

Yes, I did read it. Twice actually. Once the other day and again today. My first try at reading it had me too distracted by the photos' of Katya. Who can think about words and thoughts with those illustrations. :rolf:

Today I was able with great difficulty to pay more attention to the words and ideas. I agree that it was a very nicely written and very accurate thread. Great job.

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 27 May 2009 04:01 
Admin

Turbo

The choice of photos was a deliberate attempt for you to notice the purpose of that post, which was to display the USE of the BBCode buttons (when you type a post)

imgleft = Places an image to the left
and
imgright = Places an image to the right

but then we are all men and can't resist to appreciate and admire the beauty in the photos.

I know I did when I first saw her photos [glad.gif]
and Donhollio too! :rolf:

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 07:54 
Admin

What more improvements
would you like to see on the board?

Important Advise

The next couple of days I will try to install the LATEST version for the board.

I hope I can wake up early in the morning while all of you are sleeping to do it, so you may not notice anything when you visit the board, but I will let you know here when is been done, anyway. :|

Normally it takes about 30 minutes to install the new software...... but things can go wrong.....so if you can't log in... then please be patience with me and I will keep it no more than 2 hours out of action if I have the need to do so.

SUGGESTIONS AND MODIFICATIONS YOU WOULD LIKE TO SUGGEST

Can you please post here any suggestions, advice or comments of what you don't like on the board so we can improve the functions, look and make it working better and to your/our liking!

Shadow you are the expert on these boards..... so I expect some imput from you.

Thank you all in advance!

Yannis

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 08:26 
Veteran Member

Her/His Country: Russia/Holland
RW_here_since: 2005
Times_to_FSU: 5
As I do not know where and how you are hosting its kind of hard for me to know if this is possible.
But usually when making a major update or change I prefer to first run a 'shadow copy'.
On my hosting I have the luxury of unlimited subdomains, and the possibility to rename folders fast. This means I can create a subdomain called 'new.mainsite.com', run a test update and make sure everything looks as I want to.
Then I close the main for posting (not to lose anything), run the update again to get the latest posts in and rename 'www.mainsite.com' to 'old.mainsite.com' and 'new.mainsite.com' to 'www.mainste.com'.
Usually it needs some tweaking of settings, but in general this method works in about 10 minutes changing time.

As for modifications, it has been some time since I ran phpbb, would have to check what is available in the latest versions that could be useful.

Post Number:#8  PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 11:01 
Admin

When I made the last 2 updates I followed the following procedure:

First I made a complete copy of all files in 2 places: My hard disk and also on my External drive.

My host does automatically BACK UP on a weekly basis but I also during the week go to admin panel and made back up on the server and also locally!

When I am advised for a new update I download the Zip file to a new file Named eg update 3.0.4 (current version) ………so now will be “Update 3.0.5” and unzip it!

Then I download on my PC and also on my external drive the whole site, so I have 2 copies.

Then I upload the new version and the site goes out when I start install. After the installation completed I check that everything is working ok and nothing changed. PhpBB3 is good as they provide me with a zip version that takes care of any Modifications I have made, like the Antispam, which I have installed and had no problems with the bot spammers anymore.

Then I have to delete the index file……. And the site is back live!

Then I make new complete back up of the site on my PC.

So that is what I do. It may sound very laborious but it has worked very well for me and only takes about 10-15 minutes for the installation of the new version.

The PHP version is 5.2.6.

When I tried to install a Modification to change the number of fields under the Avatar and not display the time of joining but only the Date….. had a bit of a problems. It was not working, so all I had to do was to upload the Modified files and everything worked fine.

I will have another go to Modify the date and time under the Avatar…….. later.

Do you have any other suggestions to improve the look of the site?

Thanks for the advice anyway.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 12:15 
Veteran Member

As far as things I would like to see, a spell checker would be one and when you reply to a post of more of the old posts are visible. When I reply about half of the last post made is visible and sometimes I like to reread the post I am responging to so that I can see if I missed anything.

I do have a forum that is specific to my industry which was a vBulletin and is now SMF so I have never played with or used this software either but any updates I have done always went smoothly so I am sure you will have no problems. Shadow's ideas were very good however. Good luck with the update.

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 27 Oct 2009 13:36 
Admin

turboguy wrote:
As far as things I would like to see, a spell checker would be one and when you reply to a post of more of the old posts are visible. When I reply about half of the last post made is visible and sometimes I like to reread the post I am responging to so that I can see if I missed anything.

I do have a forum that is specific to my industry which was a vBulletin and is now SMF so I have never played with or used this software either but any updates I have done always went smoothly so I am sure you will have no problems. Shadow's ideas were very good however. Good luck with the update.

Turbo

About the Spell check I will have a look to find out and let you know. That has never bothered me because I always type my messages in world (an old habbit because I was loosing posts on other boards when submitting them) that's why I missed this modification.

As about been able to see the posts..... when you type a reply scroll down the page and there you will see the last message. If you have a wheel on your mouse, then you can see all the posts on the thread! ;)

What do you think about the Legents (Ranks) above your avatar?

At the moment have created the following:

Image..............Member.............Posts 3
Image..............Full Member........Posts 100
Image..............Veteran.............Posts 200
Image .............Hero Member.......Posts 500

Do you think I nee to create any other one?

I expect yopu will ask me to create an Old Timer's one :mrgreen: :D ............ but at the moment I don't know how to implement it.

I would also like to have the flag of the place the members live but none of you fill completely your profiles! :(

I know Shadow is 43 but he forgot to put his date of birth...... [hi.gif]

Thanks for your help and comments.