All times are UTC

Post subject: Cameron gets little on trip to mend Russian ties
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011 19:05 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Cameron gets little on trip to mend Russian ties

Image By Adrian Croft

MOSCOW (Reuters) - An attempt by Prime Minister David Cameron to thaw relations with Russia brought few results on Monday and yielded a curt response from the Kremlin over the fate of British oil firm BP, underlining lingering distrust.

On the first visit by a British prime minister since Kremlin critic Alexander Litvinenko died in London from poisoning by radioactive polonium-210 in 2006, Cameron set out to improve business ties as a way to warm up relations.

But behind the smiles, and even a Kremlin joke about an apparent KGB attempt to recruit Cameron on a trip to the Soviet Union 26 years ago, the visit produced no big breakthroughs.

Just 200 million pounds worth of business deals were announced and Cameron received a cool response from the Kremlin about the fate of BP, whose Moscow offices were raided by court bailiffs two weeks ago and which has a long history of problems in Russia.

President Dmitry Medvedev illustrated the gulf that remained between London and Moscow by saying he would never extradite the Russian man whom British prosecutors want to put on trial for Litvinenko's murder.

"This will never happen," Medvedev said after talks in the Kremlin, adding that Russia had concerns about corruption and the court system in Britain.

Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, who has not met a British leader since 2007, was at least 10 minutes late for a separate meeting with Cameron although he praised trade ties with Britain when he did arrive.

"Britain is our old trade and economic partner and we have lots to discuss," said Putin, who is widely expected to run in the 2012 presidential election.

As Russia's paramount leader, Putin's consent is essential if Cameron is going to have any success in improving Russian ties, which plunged to a post-Cold War low after Litvinenko's death.

To read the complete story click the Newspaper Boy Image

Post subject: Re: Cameron gets little on trip to mend Russian ties
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 12 Sep 2011 19:47 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Cameron would have made good KGB agent, Medvedev jokes

(Reuters) - Russian President Dmitry Medvedev joked on Monday that visiting Prime Minister David Cameron would have made a very good KGB agent, after Cameron suggested that the Soviet security service tried to recruit him when he was a student.

"I am convinced David would have been a very good KGB agent but in this case he would have never become prime minister of Britain," Medvedev said at a joint news conference at the Kremlin as both leaders laughed.

Cameron earlier tried to break the ice in a speech to students at Moscow State University by recalling how he had first visited Russia in the waning years of the Cold War in 1985 during a gap year between school and university.

"I took the Trans-Siberian Railway from Nakhodka to Moscow and went on to the Black Sea coast. There two Russians -- speaking perfect English -- turned up on a beach mostly used by foreigners," he said.

"They took me out to lunch and dinner and asked me about life in England and what I thought about politics. When I got back I told my tutor at university and he asked me whether it was an interview. If it was, it seems I didn't get the job!" he said.

When a journalist asked Medvedev later whether Cameron would have made a good KGB agent, Cameron jumped in to say: "The answer to that last question I think is no, let's be clear about that."

The joke was a rare light-hearted moment during Cameron's 24-hour visit because relations between Russia and Britain remain soured by a murder in London that could be drawn straight from a Cold War spy story.

Cameron was making the first visit to Russia by a British prime minister since former Russian spy Alexander Litvinenko died in London from poisoning by radioactive polonium-210 in 2006.

Russia refuses to extradite Andrei Lugovoy, a former KGB bodyguard who is now a lawmaker in the Russian parliament. Britain wants to prosecute him over the killing.

Cameron was meeting later on Monday with Russian Prime Minister Vladimir Putin, himself once a KGB spy.

Cameron first told the story about his suspected brush with the KGB in a 2006 radio interview when he said that the incident raised eyebrows when he was being vetted to become an adviser to the British Treasury in the 1990s.

By Adrian Croft MOSCOW Mon Sep 12, 2011 8:06pm BST (Reporting By Adrian Croft and Guy Faulconbridge)

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011 00:07 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Times_to_FSU: 10+
How stupid and naive is our Government

How stupid and naive is our Government to even think Russia would cooperate with their enquiry's about Alexander Litvinenko (right photo) and why should they, time to move on and not waste our tax payers money on this affair. If the Russian's don't care then why should we, he was an ex KGB agent who knew exactly what he was doing, you play with fire and sometimes your fingers are burned and his very burnt.

The only reason our Government pretends to care is because they probably were getting inside information from Litvinenko, he was an asylum seeker and only granted help because he was so knowledgable, for our government to benefit from his information and not his, for sure.

How can you distinguish between the Russian FSB murdering an ex member because he broke their code and us Bombing the hell out of who we see fit in other countries and causing the deaths of thousands on innocent people, complete double standards, ok for us too kill but not others.

Russians operate a different system to us, they all know and understand it, Alexander Litvinenko knew his days were numbered and that's why he left Russia, sorry for him, but he had choices i am sure, i doubt he was an innocent victim. And for sure our officials knew he had a death threat against him when they let him in and should have expected this outcome and been prepared to accept it, just maybe embarrassing that the Russians are clever enough to do it under our noses.

All the time we keep pushing for extradition of the alledged Russian assasin we are just wasting time and keeping our relationship with Russia on hold, maybe its just a good excuse to keep having a dig at Russia. Nothing that happens will bring back the former KGB agent or make things easier for his family.

How the hell was he allowed here in the first place ??? .... when many of us struggle to get our whiter than snow wives, GF's and Russian friends here! Complete idiots run this country for their own benefit, just like they do in Russia.

Maybe somebody should ask that embarrassing question to the Government, maybe i will tell immigration that my wife was ex KGB and she could give them lots of info in return for a Settlement Visa at no cost at 24 hours notice and support from our welfare system. !!!

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011 09:16 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Business as usual and deals behind closed doors

Not only stupid and naïve but also pathetic and hypocritical by the British government, when they are fully aware that the Russian Constitution does not permit extradition of its citizens. The truth is that our Government want to continue the fallacy that GB is a world power, illusions of grandeur when in reality the UK is nothing more than a little island and a puddle on the side of USA.

Of course GB can go and bomb with impunity other sovereign nations, where their leaders are not serving anymore our own and the USA interests but the Russians should behave differently and not protect their own interests. [sarcastic.gif]

Alexander Litvinenko (right photo) was an agent for KGB/FSB, operated in Chechnya, where allegedly was involved in many dirty business and later became a friend and was working for Boris Berezovsky, the Russian Oligarch and right hand of President Yeltsin, who later helped him to escape Russia.

Boris Berezovsky, who helped Putin to become Director of KGB tried together with Alexander Litvinenko to exert influence on him but Putin had no intention of being Berezovsky’s man and was “ungratefully” striking out on his own.

At Boris Berezovsky’s (left photo) instigation, Alexander Litvinenko together with another five colleagues gave a press conference in November 1998, without hiding his face or his name, unlike the other five colleagues, accusing some of his superiors and colleagues for illegal business, protection rackets, intimidation and killings, things that should have been kept secret, on the book of any secret service.

I read the book by Martin Sixsmith, “The Litvinenko File”, an ex BBC correspondent in Moscow, from 1980 -1997 with some startling information about Alexander Litvinenko and the whole affair and at the end had no conclusive or hard evidence against the alleged killer, Andrei Logavoy and Martin Sixsmith, did have access to some very important people here and in Russia.

After Boris Berezovsky left Russia he helped Alexander Litvinenko to escape too and he was living in a house owned by Berezovsky, in London, who was paying him a Monthly salary.

In his book, Martin Sixsmith says, that Alexander Litvinenko was claiming that he brought with him a huge pile of secret files, which surely must have helped him to acquire the British citizenship very quickly. Litvinenko instead of keeping quiet, he continued making publicly unproven accusations about Putin.

Funny think is that the alleged killer Andrei Lugovoi (right photo) was a friend and also working for Boris Berezovsky too, at the time the killing took place.

A couple of days ago, I watched an interview on the BBC, where Andrei Lugovoi insisted to his innocent and suggested the British government to pass jurisdiction of the case to another country where he happily will go, as in the case of the Libyan bomber of the Pan Am flight 69. I guess he is pretty sure that he will not be convicted of any crime and by doing that he will recover his freedom of travelling abroad, which now is been curtailed.

In my view Cameron choose to ignore the case, despite his comments for public consumption, making an effort to continue the trading with Russia and probably striking a deal, behind closed doors, for the aftermath of the Libyan campaign where the Russians stand to loose lots of money invested there.

I know you are sarcastic but I would not even mention anything about your wife, even as a joke, after to what happened to that poor secretary, a Russian National, of that MP. [nono.gif]

Any how, in my view, Svetlana is much better looking woman than that famous, now, Russian spy, Anna Chapman and I hope you will not sell her photos, like Anna’s ex husband to the Sun! [haha.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 14 Sep 2011 12:29 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
A new broom and old rake
The new Attorney General will continue to seek the extradition of the "inmates of London"

On Tuesday, the Federation Council Speaker, Sergei Mironov presented to the staff of the General Prosecutor's Office its new head Yuri Chaika.

Chaika spoke about what his priorities for the new post. He stressed that the priority of the Prosecutor General considers protecting the constitutional rights of Russian citizens, promised that the agency will become more open, in particular and that will create a special website, through which citizens can ask their questions to the Attorney General personally.

In addition, Chaika said that in the near future he will go to London to study the inter-ministerial commission cases of several persons, that extradition is sought by Russia.

The commission, according to the Attorney General, will include representatives from his department, as well as the Ministries of Justice and Foreign Affairs. In close cooperation with the law enforcement and judicial system of the UK, the Commission will be able to figure out what is missing for the extradition of suspects. "If there is something missing then we will have to make up for," - said the Seagull.

The Attorney General did not mention any names, but we can tell about for whom he spoke for. This is primarily Boris Berezovsky and Akhmed Zakayev, as well as several defendants in the case of "YUKOS".

Russia was not given the defendants for the 'Yukos affair'

All extradition cases, in the UK, are considered by the Magistrates Court in London, and in this court, almost always, presides Timothy Workman. He has refused to extradite to Russia Berezovsky, Zakayev, Chernyshev, Dubov and the former vice-president of "YUKOS" Alexander Temerko.

In December 2005, explaining the refusal to extradite Temerko, Workman said that in Russia, a former top manager of "Yukos" may be persecuted for their political beliefs. The judge noted that all these things are interconnected, so what he said about Temerko legitimately can be extended to other unpicked suspects.

The Prosecutor General's Office abandon its efforts to extradite Temerko, thus allowing him to write warnings to future shareholders of "Rosneft". As for the other defendants for the "Yukos affair", the recent emphasis on Alexei Golubovich, a former director of strategic planning, it’s a special story: Apparently, he is regarded by the Russian authorities more as an ally, on the principle "my enemy's enemy – is my friend" (as Golubovic alludes to the fact that some of the former owners of "YUKOS", including Nevzlin, are averse to deal with it), and it is likely that soon all the charges against him would be dropped. Then he can safely return to Russia to their dogs and cats who have not seen and which, he said, are bored.

But Berezovsky, Zakayev and – are quite another matter. For the Russian authorities to get them – is a matter of honour.

The Disgraced oligarch

Boris Berezovsky was granted political asylum in 2003 after the Magistrates' Court in London dismissed the case for his extradition to Russia. He was issued a passport in the name of Platon Elenin.

The last time a British court has rejected the Russian Prosecutor General's Office to extradite Berezovsky, was June 5, 2006. As stressed by the judge, Berezovsky was granted political asylum in Britain and he is protected under the Geneva Convention.
Earlier, on May 18, the news agency ITAR-TASS issued a strange message citing an anonymous source that Interpol "has removed restrictions from the international wanted list," for Berezovsky, as well as several others - Yuli Dubov, Nevzlin, Dmitri and Natalia Chernysheva Gololobova (the last three - people involved, in the "Yukos affair", as Oaks - partner of Berezovsky's "Logovaz").

Given that Interpol is not more than a coordination structure designed to facilitate communication between law enforcement authorities in different countries, the idea that it could impose some restrictions on someone “wanted by somebody else”, has been received by legal experts with bewilderment. Nevzlin suggested that the Russian authorities to conduct a "PR campaign" aimed at people who do not understand the system of international investigation.

On May 22 the British Ambassador to Russia Anthony Brenton, commenting on this post, said that Berezovsky will be extradited to Russia's justice, when a British court receive evidence of his guilt.

The main result of this history was the confirmation that in general, the simple fact that the question of whether or not to extradite Berezovsky to Russia, is entirely within the competence of British justice.

Note that the June 16 the Minister of the Interior and Justice, as well as the Attorneys General of the "Big Eight", after meeting in Moscow in preparation for the “Summit Club” Summit in St. Petersburg, agreed to establish cooperation. Particular attention was paid to combating international crime and the problems of renditions. Reporters were told, after meeting, by the Minister of Interior of Russia, Rashid Nurgaliyev, "was once again was highlighted and confirmed the inadmissibility of asylum for terrorists" and that the political motivations are not recognized as grounds for granting refugee status, or denial of extradition of persons suspected of terrorism.

The corresponding norms prescribed by the Geneva Convention on Refugees, which refers to a British court for refusing to extradite Berezovsky to Russia.

Whenever Berezovsky traveled outside the UK, prosecutors revived the hope that the courts of other countries will be more amenable. So, in 2005, the disgraced oligarch visited Latvia twice and both times the country's prosecutor's office refused to extradite him to Russia. Finally, on 26 October 2005, the Ministry of Interior of Latvia has put Berezovsky on the "black list" of persons whose entry is undesirable.

As stated by the Latvian authorities, Berezovsky has some of the country, "political interests", and they did not want to see it implemented by them. Later, some high-ranking Latvian officials (in particular, the former interior minister and speaker Eric Ekabsonsa Diet Ingrid Udre) was accused of receiving bribes from Berezovsky.

In late January 2006, Berezovsky on the radio station "Echo of Moscow" has declared that he was preparing "the forces to overturn power" in Russia, as he considers the "Putin regime" anti-constitutional power of the president and the parliament - as illegitimate, and the change of power through fair elections – is not possible.

After that, the British Foreign Secretary Jack Straw warned Berezovsky that his refugee status, can be removed. "Advocating the violent overthrow of a government in a sovereign state is unacceptable, and we unreservedly condemn such statements," - he said. Russian Prosecutor General's Office opened a criminal case against Berezovsky on charges of plotting to seize power illegally and sent him on the investigative jurisdiction of the FSB. Then it was sent to London on March 1 another request for the extradition of the entrepreneur. On March 3 Berezovsky disavowed their statements, and the extradition to Russia was again denied.

On February 26 the Prime Minister Ramzan Kadyrov, of Chechnya (still with the prefix "acting") personally asked the Council of Europe Commissioner for the Human Rights Alvaro Gil-Robles to cooperate with the Russian authorities to extradite Berezovsky and Movladi Udugov, Akhmed Zakayev and others suspected of serious crimes. A few days earlier Kadyrov accused Berezovsky of funding Chechen rebels under the guise of paying ransoms for kidnapped soldiers.

After about a month a similar request was made by the Russian State Duma to the British Parliament.

Neither of the above steps, apparently, had any effect.

The Horn fighters

In February 2006 the so-called president of the republic of Ichkeria, Abdul-Halim Saidulayev reorganized the government of the self-proclaimed state. He has eliminated the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Ministry of Culture, which were headed from London, by Akhmed Zakayev. In addition, the post of the Minister for Press and Information, M. Udugov was lost. All ministers Saidulayev ordered to return on the territory of Chechnya.

All this, as explained in an interview with Zakayev, at "Ekho Moskvy" was associated with "the need to strengthen the political-military component of the armed forces and strengthen the unity of all the structures of the Chechen state." He said he was asked by the authorities of the unrecognized republic of Chechnya to comeback.

Zakayev like Berezovsky was granted asylum in Britain in 2003. He is "the mouthpiece of the militants" (so the Kremlin has demanded his name in the media in fall of 2005). Basically he said, it was how is seen happening in Chechnya separatists. The fact that the Russian government called for the "destruction of the leaders of bandit groups" (Maskhadov Saidulaev and others), he calls "political killings", was a warning that they will only lead to new bursts of violence in the North Caucasus and throughout Russia.

In February 2005, Zakayev met in London with the delegation of the Union of Soldiers' Mothers Committees. Then he said that all the contentious issues between the Russian authorities and the leadership of the unrecognized Ichkeria can be resolved at the negotiation table, and even showed them a draft of the memorandum. This meeting Zakayev, said, considered as able to convey their views to the Russian public.

Many tried to prevent the meeting not only Russia but also in several European countries. In particular, Belgium announced that Zakayev denied entry into the Schengen zone. As a result, soldiers' mothers came to Zakayev in London.

It should be noted that shortly before this meeting, Zakayev visited Norway. Russia was outraged by the fact that the Norwegian authorities, having all the necessary documents for his arrest, did not arrest him. Their answer was: the visit was private, the purpose of it is not known. The Russian Foreign Ministry considered this explanation is obscure.

In November 2005, the British Ambassador to Russia Anthony Brenton said that the British government did not like that so odious figure in the possession of Her Majesty’s passport and he suggested to the prosecutor's office, how to get him extradited. "It is difficult to prove if he participated directly in terrorist acts, but it is possible that the Russian side will be able to prove that Zakayev was encouraging terrorism. If this is done will resolve the situation with his extradition, and will be much easier for the British," - he said. Brenton has confirmed what many have said before, in respect of Zakayev and Berezovsky and against others: evidence from Russia, are insufficient and unconvincing.

The Russian Foreign Ministry, is not seeing, or not recognizing the impotence of law enforcement officers, and is accusing Britain of using the infamous "double standards". On Smolenskaya Square they remembered even the "Munich Agreement" in 1938 and threatened the West with similar consequences.

Meanwhile Zakayev himself, mindful of the fate of the former president of Ichkeria Zelimkhan, who died in Qatar in February 2004 (assuming that he blew up Russian intelligence agents) did not rule out that the Russian government, not being able to "get" him by legal means, can try to eliminate him physically. Indeed, the chief of the Russian General Staff, Yury Baluyevsky said at about the same time that Russia reserves the right to take measures to destroy the terrorists, "which will dictate the situation."

On the night of 15 October 2004 a Molotov cocktail was thrown in the window of his apartment in London's West End. The fire was extinguished quickly and no one was hurt. We must acknowledge that such an unreliable way of killing, bears little resemblance to the methods used by the special services, especially given the fact that the detractors have enough Zakayev’s among the British public. About two weeks before the attempted assassination in London a rally took place under the slogan: "Beslan, Russia, we are with you!" and "No terrorist sanctuaries in the United Kingdom." Among the suicide images that have been granted asylum in the land of Her Majesty's, was the image of Zakayev.

It is unlikely they be given back

The extradition issue of Berezovsky, Zakayev, as well for the other accused and sought by the Russian authorities for so long, nothing will happen. We note that the disgraced oligarch, and Chechen emissary, not to mention the person involved, at "Yukos affair", have received political asylum in the UK (also other alleged criminals - in other countries, including the U.S.) after it became clear President Putin's political course and the methods by which he intends to pursue.

On the one hand, it can be regarded as an achievement: the enemies (the authorities and, possibly, Russia) were frightened and fled. Alternatively this allows us to understand the persistence of Timothy Workman. Now you get an idea of what was the Russian Prosecutor General Vladimir Ustinov talking about. Therefore, the evidence collected by that office, are with understandable scepticism, and even if they are convinced it is unlikely to allow at the mercy of the prosecutor's office, even, a notorious criminal. For the Russian reader it may seem strange, but for British justice, which is considered a model, the principle of humanity – is not an empty phrase.

Will this conflict will allow the replacement of the Prosecutor General of Russia? Hardly. But it demonstrates a need for change of the style of Yuri Chaika that is necessary, so that he can probably have a hand in this hopeless cases.