All times are UTC

Post subject: Brit with Russian girlfriend wanting visitor visa....
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 11 Mar 2014 11:36 

Her/His Country: Russia
Times_to_FSU: 3
Firstly a quick introduction and hello from me! I'm am a 47 year old British man who has met a great girl from Kaluga in Russia,we met online last Summer.I visited Anna in Kaluga last August for 6 days,and we met again in St Petersburg in late October for 6 days.Following that we went to Kaliningrad for 5 days over Xmas last year,and we are in contact many times a day by whatsapp,Skype,email,text etc etc.We have an excellent and very close relationship,we both love each other very much. I'd like to have Anna,who is 30 years old, here to visit me for ten days;I'm employed and have my own house (rented) but also own a buy to let which I don't live in..I let it out.

Having read as much info as I can,I think a visitor visa will be difficult as Anna has not had a job in about a year,despite strenuous efforts by her to find one.She therefore has little money and no real income.She also has a 9 year old son who lives with her and is at school there,so obviously she will return to Russia after being here,and to continue looking for a job there.She lived in Poland on a visa there for 1 year,then returned to Russia.She's also travelled to Spain and Greece from Poland whilst living there.I have more than sufficient funds to pay for her trip here,and am able to provide evidence to support that,which I hope will be enough evidence for the visa people when we apply for a visitor visa.What I do not want is a refusal of her visitor visa.I have considered a fiance visa,but we would rather go down the visitor visa route first,and for me to make more visits to her before doing that.We have lots of evidence of our relationship,and ultimately I'd like her and her son to be here living with me,although I know that will take time.I fulfill the income requirements for a settlement/spouse visa in future.

On the basis of what I've written here,do you think she will get a visitor visa? Any advice appreciated!!

Post subject: Re: Brit with Russian girlfriend wanting visitor visa....
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014 08:10 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hi Mark
and [welcome1.gif] to the board.

Sorry for the delay in answering........ and see no other member answered, despite many having read your post.

To be honest I find it very hard to give you any decent answer, after the latest developments.....reference Ukraine events.

You have two choices Tourist or visitors Visa and personally I would take my chances with the Visitors Visa. As you say she has a son and if... she owns her apartment......you can say that she is between jobs... she is only going to come for short time, that if she is granted a visa.... must keep in her first visit!

If they refuse...... then when time comes... and you decide to marry her...... you do it in Russia and will have plenty of reasons to prove your relationship and apply for a settlement visa then.

You have to decide .... on this and I wish you good luck!

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 13 Mar 2014 18:49 

Thank you very much for your reply,I appreciate it.What a minefield this all is,it's so difficult fro Russians to come here...yet we have an open door to Bulgarians,Romanians et al....I hope we can get her a visitor visa!

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 14 Mar 2014 05:25 

Her/His Country: UK
Times_to_FSU: Many times
Hi and welcome to the board

Yes it is difficult now for a young woman with no permanent work and ownership of a flat, in Russia, to get a visitors visa but not impossible. I suggest you try kai supply her with a sponsor's letter, explaining honestly about the number of times you have met, abroad.....that you will cover all expenses...... and if they refuse......you will have to meet either there or somewhere hot!

Good luck anyway.

mark812 wrote:
Thank you very much for your reply,I appreciate it.What a minefield this all is,it's so difficult fro Russians to come here...yet we have an open door to Bulgarians,Romanians et al....I hope we can get her a visitor visa!
Do not listen the propaganda of our Government...... these countries are members of the EU, as our country........

Cameron and Co are spreading propaganda because we have elections next year!

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 08 May 2014 20:39 

Thanks to all for their input,I'm pleased to say that today my girlfriend was granted her 6 month UK visitor visa,albeit it took nearly 7 weeks to process.The only advice I would offer is to write a thorough and detailed sponsor letter,addressing and anticipating the questions likely to be raised by the immigration people.I stated very clearly the length of stay,provided financial evidence,and wrote that there would be no need for recourse to public funds in any way,including medical.

I also stated that we wished to do things in the right manner,and that there would be no risk of an over stay as we didn't want to jeopardise any future visa of a different type.All the foregoing seems to have done the trick,and now she can plan to come over here 2 or three times within the next 6 months,staying 7-10 days a time so as not to be seen to stay too long,and return to Russia each time.

I hope this is of assistance to anyone reading.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 08 May 2014 22:23 
Admin

RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
[good_news.gif]

Hi Mark

and congrats for the visa.......I am sure you are over the moon with the result! [clap.gif]

I may suggest that for the FIRST trip ... stick to the time she put in her application.......7-10 days and then.... no problems.... she can stay for whatever length you want!

That way you keep to your word...... in your letter.

I wish you both ... good luck and hope to hear all your good news.

best wishes

[drinks.gif]

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 09 May 2014 21:23 

As you can imagine,we are both delighted to be granted the visitor visa after a long and nerve racking wait.I'm really looking forward to showing Anna the UK,our culture (the good bits of it!!) and way of life here.She's a very well travelled and adaptable girl,her spoken English is improving all the time,and this gives her the opportunity to further her knowledge.Like most Russians,she's well educated and will pick things up without too many problems.

I'd like to say thanks again for the input and good wishes of those on this thread,it's been invaluable and I'll keep you posted on things as they proceed.More than anything,it certainly pays to do research and be fore-armed with as much knowledge as possible in immigration/visa matters;it is far easier that way.