All times are UTC

Post subject: Russian Visa for US Citizen, remote criminal record
Post Number:#1  PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014 04:06 

Her/His Country: usa
Hi there. Thank you all for your contributions to this forum. In what I have read thus far, it seems many folks have simply been honest about any criminal history and have received their visas. Others have remarked that for remote issues, there is no point to answering yes to any. My situation is the following: I am a US citizen and have been to Russia in 1993, 1995, and 1997. From 1998-99 I was abusing drugs and I was arrested in 1999 for having used a stolen credit card.

I am grateful that I have been free of any and all substances since 1999 and have not been in trouble with the law since then. My prior visits to Russia were to study and then as a tourist. The visits to Russia were (in terms of the years listed above) in close proximity to my arrest and my period of drug use. Is it even worth applying for a visa? I am assuming I should just be truthful about these? Should I attach a letter explaining something in particular? Any suggestions welcomed. Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Russian Visa for US Citizen, remote criminal record
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014 05:09 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Hi and welcome to the board.

many people have asked the same question before and as far as I am aware all of them applied and got a visa.

Not sure what happened in your case but looks like it's over 14 years from your naughty life... and frankly don't think the Russians will be interested for a spent crime.

As relations between USA and Russia blossoming lately.... how would they can find out?

Make sure the rest of your story is clear, accommodation etc and you will not have any problems...........

I would be nice if you let us know what happens.... helpful to other people too.

Good luck.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 08 Dec 2014 23:06 

Thanks for your feedback. The question regarding drug use is combined with a question regarding communicable diseases - i.e. the same yes/no box applies for "have you ever been afflicted with a communicable disease of public health significance or a dangerous physical or mental disorder? Have you ever been a drug abuser or a addict?"

Should I thus attach a letter of explanation?

In terms of the application letter and where I will be staying, I was planning on staying at a hotel and was going to utilize the services of a russian travel agency to obtain the letter - would that be a way of having the remainder of the application be clear? Thanks again.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 09 Dec 2014 08:38 
Admin

Her/His Country: Russia
RW_here_since: July 2008
Times_to_FSU: Too many to remember
Never found this part of the application a problem, as my answer was ''NO'' to everything.

So under the current circumstances if the answer is ''NO'' how the Russian can check your Criminal record? [wink.gif]

About the use of an agency.... YES, makes life easier, even if it costs more. [happy.gif]

Post Number:#5  PostPosted: 13 Dec 2014 17:14 

Good point, thank you [wink.gif] [veryhappy.gif]