All times are UTC

Post subject: I'm thinking of taking an extended trip and need advice!
Post Number:#  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 05:36 
Been there - Done That & Got the T-shirt

Privyet all,

I hope everyone is doing well. My work situation may be changing and I had a question to ask everyone. I am thinking of taking an extended trip to the FSU, for a time period of two months to up to one year or even longer. I am very flexible in my situation. How long could I live in the FSU for before my visa would run out or I would need permission to stay?

Who here has taken an extended trip and what were your experiences? Where did you go? I'm open to going almost anywhere....Russia, Ukraine, Moldova, etc. I don't know exactly what I would do there (besides trying to meet a lady) as far as work goes, but I am open to volunteering or doing any type of work really. My finances are not unlimited and I would like to do it on a budget, if that is possible. I figured now is a good time to think as I may be in between jobs at home for awhile, and I have flexibility.

All your advice and input is greatly appreciated...thank you!

Brian

Post subject: Re: I'm thinking of taking an extended trip and need advice!
Post Number:#2  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 06:50 

Her/His Country: Russia/UK
RW_here_since: She lives in Russia
Times_to_FSU: Ya ne mogu soschitatʹ
Brian.

in order to stay in the FSU over a long time you first have to realise that the FSU is made up of 15 independent countries.

ImageImage
Post-Soviet states in English alphabetical order:
1. Armenia; 2. Azerbaijan; 3. Belarus; 4. Estonia;
5. Georgia; 6. Kazakhstan; 7. Kyrgyzstan; 8. Latvia;
9. Lithuania; 10. Moldova; 11. Russia; 12. Tajikistan;
13. Turkmenistan; 14. Ukraine; 15. Uzbekistan

I can only give full advice about Russia.

The longest normal visa that you can get for Russia is a one year Multiple Entry visa (either Business or Cultural).

The one year ME visa has also got restrictions the visa is valid for stay in Russia for a maximum of 180 days in a year and not more than 90 days in any 180.

As a theoretical and mathematical example.
Assume that someone arrives in Russia on the 1st of January, they must leave by the 1st of April and cannot return to Russia until the the 30th of June and must leave again on the 28th of September.

This example assumes that the traveller stays in Russia continuously from the 1st of January until the 1st of April and then again continuously from the 30th of June until the 28th of September.

As far as work goes volunteering or otherwise that is a mine field that I can not really help with apart to say that to work legally in Russia you will need a work permit and apart from teaching or being sponsored by a international company it will be easier to find Rocking-Horse doo-doo.

Teaching English.
I have no real experience about that, I have though heard that it is an option but also that teaching English is a different mine field.
There are some that have really enjoyed the experience and others that have been treated worse than slaves.
For a very positive report about teaching in Russia read this thread An Englishman's Year in Siberia and for a horror story read here and here.
The last two links take you to a different forum Redtape.ru the Redtape forum is a very different forum, populated mostly by Expats either living in Russia or have lived in and by Russians, the Redtape forum does have a wealth of information about Russia but from a very different viewpoint and in my opinion would not be the place to discuss most of the subjects that we discuss here.

I hope that this information has been of help.

Post Number:#3  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 08:51 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Ukraine/Holland
RW_here_since: 04-december-2008
Times_to_FSU: Lost count in 2010
Considering the list above, I have some visa-advice on the following:

4. Estonia;
8. Latvia;
9. Lithuania;
14. Ukraine;

Latvia, Estonia, lithuania are now part of the Schengen-countries. All information related to Schengen-related visa's apply. This means that if you live in Schengen-Europe, you can visit these countries for extended time, without ever needing a visa.

Be careful though if you live outside-Schengen-area, Schengen-Visa only share between a maximum of 90 days in-country. If you want a longer Schengen-visa, there are country-specific Rules. The Netherlands (for instance) requires you to take a dutch-Exam so they will be reasonably sure you can survive inside NL without aid. The cost of this exam+visa combined is 1135,- Euro (2010 information).

About Ukraine: Upto 90 days, you can go visa-free if you live in America/Europe. Longer than that and you will require a business-visa. I have no information about them but the embassy of Ukraine is a good starting point.

All things considering, I would advice you not to go longer than 90 days, to avoid a lot of visa-hassles.

Post Number:#4  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 09:00 
Expert Member

Her/His Country: Uzbekistan
Times_to_FSU: 8 and I hope the last!
In 2005 I did a 4 month UA stint. Started in the heat of August and left with snow on the ground in Kiev, it was quite the trip. I stayed more than 90 days and when I went to leave the border control agent asked me where my visa was for being over 90 days [biggrin.gif] I didn't have one but a had one hell of a story who and where it was! :roll: :roll:
You'll need to keep your renty on the very low side if you plan on doing a year or more. Quite honestly I was done after 4 months, hope you fare better. Helping out at orphanges is one way to be helpful while there, you may even wind up getting some excellent contacts [wink.gif]

Also get into some ESL skools, no better way than to find girls willing to practice on you! [wink.gif]

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 12:39 

Thanks Don. I was thinking of joining a russian language school and living like a student for a time. I just need to find a new school.

Post Number:#6  PostPosted: 02 Sep 2010 15:35 

Donhollio wrote:
In 2005 I did a 4 month UA stint. Started in the heat of August and left with snow on the ground in Kiev, it was quite the trip. I stayed more than 90 days and when I went to leave the border control agent asked me where my visa was for being over 90 days [biggrin.gif] I didn't have one but a had one hell of a story who and where it was! :roll: :roll:
You'll need to keep your renty on the very low side if you plan on doing a year or more. Quite honestly I was done after 4 months, hope you fare better. Helping out at orphanges is one way to be helpful while there, you may even wind up getting some excellent contacts [wink.gif]

Also get into some ESL skools, no better way than to find girls willing to practice on you! [wink.gif]

Regarding the visa issues bad advice please realise that North America does not rule the planet.
It is about time that Images realise a simple fact, fall foul of visa laws and suffer the consequences (the consequences include fines, prison time and travel bans).

Regarding the rest "no comment'

Post Number:#7  PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010 09:07 
Expert Member

Ras , when I get around to posting future segments of my TR, you'll see how it all unfolded.... and yes it was fairly comical.

Ukraine ain't Russia at least not yet. They are two different countries, and I'd take Ukraine in a heartbeat over Russia.Being to both countries, so I feel I have some say in my opinion.

I'm sure if that took place in Russia I would of first been cleaned out of any currency I had on me by honest border control agents, then escourted to the nearest ATM to fleece my account/s. Followed by arrest and the usual BS that only a 'democracy' like Russia can do. [hi.gif]

I'm not sure where you think North America rules the planet, if you have a axe to grind against Americans , take it up with them. If you think I carry a smug attitude towards the 90 day limit, then your reading way too deep into my post/s [hi.gif]

Post Number:#  PostPosted: 03 Sep 2010 18:07 

Don,

Why do you prefer Ukraine over Russia? I am leaning towards Ukraine at the moment.

Post Number:#9  PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010 03:15 

Donhollio,
Lets get a few things straight.

The first being that it does not matter where someone is, if that someone breaks the visa rules then that someone joins the ranks of the illegal immigrants.
Donhollio wrote:
Ras , when I get around to posting future segments of my TR, you'll see how it all unfolded.... and yes it was fairly comical.
Whaterver the circumstances were, they are irrelevant.
What is relevant in my opinion is the fact that someone was asking for advise and bad advise was given, nowhere in your post did you even hint at the fact that you had extenuating circumstances for overstaying beyond the 90 days and therefore anybody reading could jump to the conclusion that they can just ignore the 90 day rule.

The second being that when someone travels to another country then they need to realise that they are a guest in the country that they have travelled to and comments such as
Donhollio wrote:
The shi-hole I'm currently in... Uzbekistan. :lol:
are in my opinion distasteful and offensive and even worse such comments will cause bad feelings towards future travellers.

Donhollio wrote:
I'm not sure where you think North America rules the planet, if you have a axe to grind against Americans , take it up with them. If you think I carry a smug attitude towards the 90 day limit, then your reading way too deep into my post/s

The reason that I mentioned North America is not because I have an axe to grind against Americans (as in people from the USA) but because, the North American continent constitutes not only the United States of America but actually 23 different countries and many (but not all) of the inhabitants of the two Northen most countries that make up part of the North American Continent seem to me to have the attitude that they are better than every body else on this planet.
As for my reading too deep into your post(s) see the above comments regarding advise giving and distasteful comments.

Last but not least.
If you think that only in Russia you can be fleeced by having to pay an instant "fine" then I will suggest to you that you are living in cloud cuckoo land and I can assure you that the possibility of being fleeced by a local functionary (whether police immigration or anybody else with an official capacity) exists just as much in the Ukraine as it does in Russia and in many other countries around the world.

Post Number:#10  PostPosted: 04 Sep 2010 08:03 
Expert Member

BrianW wrote:
Don,

Why do you prefer Ukraine over Russia? I am leaning towards Ukraine at the moment.

UA has far more freedom of movement. You can enter with a few bucks in your pocket, maybe have a address where you'll be staying ( I was never asked when entering by rail) and that's all.
RU on the other hand makes you registar every city you visit if it's more than 3 bussiness days. I won't go into details as I already have Ras on a low boil. ;) But the entire thing is a huge waste of time. Read my TR ( RUA) about my visa BS while in Russia. It's a sad way to treat any tourist.
UA also is better geared for the tourist,( thats not saying much) but it is better than RU or UZ.
I found Russia to have nothing easy for a tourist to do. Getting a place to rent is a chore, why? Well because hotels no longer can registar you like in the past, so the owner of the apartment needs to come with you to registar, and once you leave they must de-registar you. The first part can take up to 3 hrs BTW.
That being said, I would go where the girl is, but if you want freedom of movement UA is where you'll find it IMO.

Ras...

No where did I say one should ignore the 90 day visa rule. I never ignored it either.
North America and Central America are two different areas.
Have you visited Canada in the past? You know we're well known for having a low self esteem about ourselves, standing up and boasting we're better than you is quite un Canadian.